I Forge Iron

Need to re-heat an already treated project

You know how that little bump in the supposed-to-be smooth curve can become the only thing you see ?
Well, the beeswax /boiled linseed oil finish is already on and that bump's driving me nuts.
I recall re-heating an already treated item and had problems with the heated section getting all ugly and sticky.
Is this the only way to go ?

Thanks !
Naz

Not sure from your post wot this object is. But if you made the piece and heat treated it it should not be a real big deal to do it again. If you did not make it and did not heat treat it. You may be able to take a small propane torch and heat just enough to wire brush the surface and get the gunk off, ,,do not let the metal change colors and the heat treat will remain as is. I would do small areas at a time..Again if you fill in the blanks it would be easier to answer. Stay away from any fumes it gives off. a fan may help that.

Not sure from your post wot this object is. But if you made the piece and heat treated it it should not be a real big deal to do it again. If you did not make it and did not heat treat it. You may be able to take a small propane torch and heat just enough to wire brush the surface and get the gunk off, ,,do not let the metal change colors and the heat treat will remain as is. I would do small areas at a time..Again if you fill in the blanks it would be easier to answer. Stay away from any fumes it gives off. a fan may help that.

Rich, Sounded more to me that he put a oiled waxed finish on it and is worried about melting the finish. One of us probably got it right.
Ken.

i am no expert, but if the steel is relatively thin you could do it cold
alec

Well Alec you may be no expert but you do give good advice !
I gave it a shot cold and actually ended up with an acceptable curve.
Thanks for all replies and sorry if I wasn't clear on details.