I Forge Iron

Hofi's fuller (or smithing magician)

Grafvitnir

Hi! I remember I once downloaded a picture of Mr. Uri Hofi's fuller from one of the old BP's. I can't find it so I was wondering if anyone got a picture of it. It looked a little like this one (belonging to Tai Goo) but I remember it was somehow adjustable. At least that is how I remember it.

Thank you very much.

Rubén

post-2527-066914400 1285640371_thumb.jpg

You might want look on the British blade forum there is a nice one with plans on making it, the upper die returns to the open position. britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?78415-Guillotine-tool-quot-how-to-quot The only change I made was drill and tap the front part to bolt on to change the dies. On the plans he welded his front on and if you want to use a larger fuller you can't.

Oh, yes, I remember it. It was presented as a BP here on April 14 2009. ;) Guillotine R-2

The thing is I want to see how the one Mr. Hofi used was made because I remember thinking, "that's clever". The way it was adjusted for different sizes of stock.

Maybe I just have a case of "Blind Pew" (J.L. Borges)

"Lejos del mar
y de la hermosa guerra;
que así el amor
lo que ha perdido alaba."

"Far away from sea
and beautiful war;
that's the way Love
what has lost, praises."

(Free translation by myself because the ones I found in Google didn't meant the same as in Spanish, although I'm not completely happy with mine either.)

Maybe I'm thinking it was better that it was because I can't find it. :)

Thank you.

Rubén

There was one BP under "Guillotine" by Irnsrgn but it is not the design you showed in your photo. See attached I built this tool with modifications, and it has been an extremely serviceable tool. There are a couple of other BP's on a similar tool but none have a auto open feature that you mentioned.

I built your design and it works well. There are modifications that others, including Jerry Carroll, have made that improve the design.

Jerry Hoffmam holds the trademark on the Smithin' Magician

This might not be the same one you are thinking about, but it has a spring to open it.

LeeRoy

P S
Sorry, I can not get the picture to attach.

It is a smithing magician that has a striker spring added between the top and bottom dies. Looks to be something that might work. It was posted by anvillain.

There have been a couple of spring opening designs as well as tabs for lifting the top die with hammer, tongs, etc. The entry angles are usually 45* and 90* to the stock. Some designs are one plane, while others are a C shape to support the die channels or a double C so the stock can pass through.

There does not seem to be one perfect design for all occasions. Find one that interests you and build it, then build a second design. Use both until you can understand which one works best for what application, then design your own (grin). Photograph the progress of all three and we will post the results on IForgeIron.