I Forge Iron

My smithing area

I am a big proponent of recycling / repurposing of items that are headed for the landfill. I have enough drums to do the back wall, just need to weld them up. I am not planning on a roof, but may if I need to. We only average 4.5" of rain a year, with 3/4 of that during the summer monsoons. When It is 115 outside, I won't be forging, so I don't need shade. It was mainly built to break the winds we get out here. That and I am a tightwad B)

I have some other pics, just need to learn how to resize them. That one is 3.2 meg. a bit big for this site.

I plan on putting some shelves in the drums later, just don't have the time at the moment.

The only use the treadle hammer has been getting lately is smashing aluminum cans.

If I had the, money my shop would be underground. My basement stays nice year round. I have over a 20' vertical difference from the house to the road on one side of the property that would work for a subterranean shop area.

My neighbors are paying anywhere from $250-$500 a month during the summers. Me? $30-$60 because I sleep outside on a hammock where it is nice during the night.

Our humidity is usually in the single digits ( I have seen 113 w/ 1%)so swamp coolers work really well, except during the monsoons. They are also a lot cheaper to run than AC.

It is strange to be out walking around at midnight with it still over 100 degrees.

yes unfortunatly it does get a bit warm in those summer months. I have yet to see during winter months. I have to shore up the roof before it sees snow or i will not have one.

I agree with the subterranien shop, if only i could afford to build it. I live on a giant clay ball so all i really need to do is dig out a huge hole and then light a fire in it...hehehe then I'll have a nice ceramic bowl for a shop. (don't nail any pictures to the wall)

hmmm 1% humidity, i haven't seen that low since iraq. here in goergia, we have a "low humidity" when it is only raining softly. swamp coolers down here are when you have a case of beer on ice and your in the swamps. instead of those things you guys use

• 3 weeks later...

you have a shop!!!, When I started I had an anvil, and a hammer, and a hot hole in the ground, work with what you have until you can make more. Don't for one minute think you can't,

This guy has you all beat for bragging rights. He doesnt even have a hammer or a poker. He rakes the coals by hand!