I Forge Iron

Shop lift

Bobb

I am getting ready to put up a gib crane of sorts. It consists of a 6x3 in. 'I' beam. I going to attach onto one of wood 6x6's that are part of the framing of my shop. The trolley I was going to get from Northern tool. I am not sure about the method of lift, Chain hoist versus Cable winch. Does anyone have a preference?

Give us more information,
What are you going to use to anchor the base?
How are you going attach it to the 6x6?
What is the span of the "I" beam?
What is the amount of weight you PLAN to lift?
What is the maximum weight you WILL lift?

The I-beam I have is only 8 ft long so that is why I was going to hang it on one of the 6x6's. Mounted between two 4 in angle brackets fastened to the 6x6. I was going tosupport the I-beam from the top with a 1/2 in cable running back to the 6x6. I will try and post a diagram of my plan.
As far as what I plan on lifting the capacity of the beam is only 1000lbs so I am limited.

Bobb-that the cheater pipe rule-every foot out is x weight applyed-say-200# at i foot = 200# @ 4 foot = 800# etc.. so pulling 1000# at 8 feet will require your mount to be able to handle 8000# min- then ya need to figure in a good safety factor like 70-80% to be on the safe side

Have you considered building an "A" frame? It can be 8ft wide and have a trolly for the chain falls. I don't think I would use a wire come-a-long. I just don't trust them. (cable breaks, slips, yada, yada, yada) Good for some things true but not for lifting and holding weight. (MOO>>my opinion only<<)

I agree with clark-kentski, your 6x6 has enough to do, and jimmy seale has an EXCELLENT point.