I Forge Iron

Just Saying Hello

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've just signed up to the site. Very much a beginner in metal working but have been bitten by the forging bug after completing a days course at West Point forges in Devon England. I'm 27 and working in the IT industry so have been after something to restore the heart and soul my day job sucks from me each day and can quite confidently say I've found it.

I live in a rented flat with no garden or garage so am struggling for time in front of a forge, I do however have a full day on Saturday where the guild is kindly allowing me use of their facilities.

I was wandering if anyone had a good suggestion of a quick (around 3 -4 hours for beginner) project I could complete. I'm planning on having a quick bash at a fire poker as a present for a friend who kindly gave me a glass of 40 year old whisky the other night but I think I should finish that fairly quickly.

Attached is my first creation (thanks going to John from the Guild for the instruction).

Long term I'd love to develop this into something I could potentially start trading with but for the meantime I shall continue to sell my soul in the IT industry to fund my coke addiction (see what I did there :)

post-15077-065290800 1285079167_thumb.jp

Hi Chris! Welcome to IFI! You're initial projects, hook and fork look great. You'll find more than one of us here are also IT people. It's great to get away from mind numbing computer issues (usually end user issues!) and just deal with hot steel and hammer. Depending on how complicated a fire poker you plan to make, that might take you longer than you think. While it's great to work on more complicated projects and have a finished product. You might want to just concentrate on basic things until your hammer control is better. Make lots of those hooks and forks, give them out to friends and family. There are many variations of bottle openers you could also do. What you can also do for idea's is to browse the photo gallery here, see what others have done and use those for project idea's.

Best of luck and welcome to forging!

Larry

welcome aboard, glad to have ya. How's about putting your general location in your header so those of us old farts who enjoy a single malt tipple while on the road don't have to rely on our memory if we feel the need for a nip or nap. Hmmmm?:rolleyes:

Frosty the . . . .

welcome aboard, glad to have ya. How's about putting your general location in your header so those of us old farts who enjoy a single malt tipple while on the road don't have to rely on our memory if we feel the need for a nip or nap. Hmmmm?:rolleyes:

Frosty the . . . .

Hey Jer, Gave up on the single malt yrs ago. However there is a crock of corn whiskey in my office. store bought but good. Any time you or and deb get down south east holler. I'de rather bring it up but momma says no for now. Ill to Fl
to WNC sayes its too cold up there.
Ken.

Cheers guys,

I'll update my profile to let you know how far you have to travel for that single malt :)

If any of you find yourselves in Devon England I'm in Topsham where you can't move for fine pubs serving the best beers.

Only a couple of days now- will post pics of whatever I come home with.

Chris

I'm having a pretty intrancing visual of a town where a guy can't even move for the pubs. Of course part of the visual is of having to step over all the locals sleeping on the sidewalks. How much single malt or local ale, beer, etc. makes cobble stones comfy? :unsure:

Heck Ken it isn't even cool yet. There's an informal gathering of locals here at my place Oct 1,2,3. Hmmmmm?

Frosty the Lucky.

Saturday Chris came to Westpoint Forge he does not have one at home yet, this was his second session at forging.

He decided he wanted to make a poker for his friend, so after a chat as to what he felt he would like to do, he produced two items, one for himself and one for his friend.

I made a simple berry picker to illustrate a handle technique that could be suitable as it increases the size of the bar and provides a comfortable feature to grip and also a ring to enable it to be hung if required.

post-816-049606500 1285582721_thumb.jpg

I let him get on with his project with minimum assistance from myself, as I had a class sampling the taster day on the six forges next door, so he was able to get on with them at his own comfort level.

Any problems he had difficulty with we talked through, but these are very much his own efforts, a couple of questionable areas, but that is what learning is all about. nevertheles a good days work for him, and something to build on and be proud of.

Here are some details of what he produced.

post-816-056197200 1285582677_thumb.jpg post-816-014535900 1285582645_thumb.jpg

The journey/addiction has begun!

Thanks for the comments guys and thanks John for some wonderful instruction again. Had a fantastic day and managed to reduce the number of burns received which is also a victory! Looking forward to getting stuck in on the 2 day course on the 9th.

In the meantime I'll be brushing up on the theory side of things - strengths and weaknesses of the different materials etc as this is something I've yet to invest time in.
I've also had a win on ebay - I bought a welding mask and was sent 2 (have checked and only paid for 1), I put the spare one straight back on ebay and it's sold for what I paid... free mask for me! A mate is going to give me use of his kit and workshop to play about with welding.

Thanks again!

hey chris - that works looks really good! i love the mad lightning bolt poker :) i think im coming down for the same course you just said - im from glos - so hopefully we can say hello and learn some stuff - lovin the cock up with the welding lids - reckon your stars were in alignment or something :)