I Forge Iron

help with identification

I'm looking for a starter anvil. I found an anvil that the seller isn’t knowledgable about (he says it came with the property he bought) but it has a set of numbers on the foot, a “ Z 141” on one foot and “ A 22438” on the other. I have attached two pictures. Any information you might be able to provide as to manufacturer, quality, and appx worth, I would greatly appreciate.
Best regards,

post-15015-003636800 1284601720_thumb.jp

post-15015-091051500 1284601742_thumb.jp

Trenton anvils are generally very good quality! I have one and they generally have pretty hard faces, good rebounds. That one looks badly weathered but also lightly used. Since I am in the middle of the country maybe prices here are around average. I would say that $2/pound or less would be a bargain price for one like that. $3/pound or less fair price. $4/pound and up top dollar in this current market I would make lower offer or keep looking.

If they ask you to suggest a price *start* with a dollar a pound. It was the going price for *decades* and some folk will still sell for it.

Personally if you need it I would not shy off till over $2 a pound.

At $3 a pound I would hunt for a better priced anvil. Even in anvil poor NM I have recently bought a PW in excellent shape save for the tip of one foot missing for US$1.33 a pound and that's the price the seller set!

can anyone help decipher this description as to date of manufacture and quality, please, what does the #2 & #5 suggest? thanks:

Hay Budden 158 lb. +/- Anvil.

Made in Brooklyn, NY but date of manufacture is unknown.

Numbers shown on the anvil are:

On the side of the base is No. A5402 and on the opposite side is No. 2.

On the side of the base is No. 5.

can anyone help decipher this description as to date of manufacture and quality, please, what does the #2 & #5 suggest? thanks:

Hay Budden 158 lb. +/- Anvil.

Made in Brooklyn, NY but date of manufacture is unknown.

Numbers shown on the anvil are:

On the side of the base is No. A5402 and on the opposite side is No. 2.

On the side of the base is No. 5.

Need an update. "One sidehas A5402 opposite side is 2 on another side is 5"
I assume the A5402 is on the frontfoot (left side) 2 is under the heel and 5 is above the A5402. If so anvil made around 1916(AIA) the 2 and 5 are inspector stamps