I Forge Iron

Help with new forge?

Anvil_Fire777

Hi,
Iam building a new forge and want to know where to put the air shut off plate?
It is a coal/charcoal forge and will be powerd by a centrifugal blower. Should the plate go above the "T" peice or on the pipe the connects to the blower? If you need an image of what i mean then just say so.

Iam worried that if i put it above the "T" peice, it will ruin the "vortex" effect that the air has as it travels up the pipe into the firepot. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi,
It is a coal/charcoal forge and will be powerd by a centrifugal blower. Should the plate go above the "T" peice or on the pipe the connects to the blower? If you need an image of what i mean then just say so.

Iam worried that if i put it above the "T" peice, it will ruin the "vortex" effect that the air has as it travels up the pipe into the firepot. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

I am assuming that what you are calling the "T” is the horizontal pipe (tuyere) that delivers the air to a vertical pipe. The top of this vertical pipe is connected to the firepot and the bottom is the ash dump. It’s a pretty standard arrangement.

The blast gate can go anywhere that is convenient for use as long as it is before the tuyere. Now think about it. If you put the blast gate between the firepot and the tuyere, then where will all the clinker and ash fall?

Hi,

If you are going to be adjusting the airflow whilst you are working,it makes sense to mount it at the T and then you can put the open/shut handle where you can easily access it, (front or side of the hearth)

If you mount it to the front of the fan it can be well away from where you are working.

As for "vortex" effect, forget it, air goes in at right pressure, air comes out through easiest route, ie holes in firepot,

Attached pictures shows under hearths controlled from the the sides, the one with the ratchet handle is preferable because it can be left on a setting and it doesn't vibrate open or closed, and the handle stays cooler, the one with the handle above the hearth sides tends to slip if not torqued correctly, and also can get hot, and in the way if laying long bars across the fire.

post-816-028290400 1284641973_thumb.jpg post-816-004860400 1284641825_thumb.jpg post-816-006455600 1284641865_thumb.jpg

For a centrifugal blower the airgate is best on the air *intake*. Cutting down air for the blower makes the motor work less than cutting down the output that increases the pressure the blower is pushing against.

BTAIM most of my blowers have had the airgate between the blower and the vertical ashgate to tuyere section where ever was most convenient.

It's handy to have it where you can work it whilst working the piece in the fire at the same time---ever notice that forging, like gun fighting teaches you to use your "off hand" a lot?

I like those designs. my solid fuel forge is contrrolled with a dimmer switch so I don't need an air gate on that one, the gasser has an air gate that is set and then held with a wing nut. when I get around to building my net forge then I will probably go with a design like yours