I Forge Iron

Hammer back in hand

It's be awhile since I've posted or even picked up my hammer but I'm back and have a gate making class scheduled with Darryl Nelson of Meridian Forge in Eatonville, Wa. in 2 weeks I've taken a forge welding class from Darryl before and he is a great teacher. I'm excited to be back at the anvil again! Hi to all the old time IFI'ers and Hello to all the new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice gate! Are those vertical pickets partially mortise & tenon jointed into the bottom rail? If so, I have never personally seen that detail before. It's a very cool look.

I forget what Darryl called the technique, we punched the top of the heel bar with a pointed punch to form a pocket for the pickets to rest in. The pickets are pointed and just rest lightly inside the pockets.

Good to have ya back Larry! Nice job on the gate too. We are having Darryl as one of our demonstrators at the Saltfork Craftsmen conference in Oct. It's the 16 & 17 of Oct if anyone here is interested. Check the web site for registration info. http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org
Gordon Williams will be the other demonstrato there.

I got to see Darryl demo at the BAM conf. back in '08, amazing...