I Forge Iron

My new side draught forge.

kevan

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, a few pics of my conversion from hood to side draught. The best workshop decision in 19 years. My revamped shop is now smoke free, as are my lungs. Thanks to site members for their comments and advice.

What are the dimensions of the chimney and the hood? An earlier IFI article on a modified "super sucker" side draft hood suggested that the area of the hood opening to the hearth should smaller than the cross sectional area of the chimney (allowing the interior of the hood to act as an expansion chamber) for it to draw well. Your hood opening appears to be noticeably larger than the chimney and still capable of "sucking the buttons off your shirt".

Thanks.

Bill

What are the dimentions of the table? I really like the side draft set up. Nother question, What kind of pipe or tube did you use for the smoke stack? I am working on a forge and need to make some decisions about material for side draft and smoke stack.

Table is about 900 X 500mm (about36 X 20inches) and the chimney is 1.2mm galv sheeting rolled to 12inches.The success of this sucker,I think is the 14 feet of chimney which actually causes the flame to roar.

Regards,
Kevan

Bill,

The smoke stack is 12inch diameter, the hood/extractor is 14 inch square and 32inch long or deep. The hood is slightly off level so that any rain water will run to the back and out of the hinged flap at the rear. The chimney is 14/15 feet long and extends at least 4 feet above the roof.The air pipe from the squirral fan is positioned about 3 or 4 inches ahead of the bottom lip of the hood.

When the chimney is hot and the fan is fully opened, the flame from newly added coal "bends" into the hood for about a foot or so. The draft is so strong that if you light a match at the mouth of the hood, it will not burn.

Regards,

Kevan

I just love watching a good side draught in action, well done, nice looking shop too. I'm currently running a hooded setup with coke, a high 9" chimney and a large roller door opening to my shop and have no noticeable smoke. We dont have winters like the Northern hemisphere so I can keep the door open all winter.

Bill,

The smoke stack is 12inch diameter, the hood/extractor is 14 inch square and 32inch long or deep. The hood is slightly off level so that any rain water will run to the back and out of the hinged flap at the rear. The chimney is 14/15 feet long and extends at least 4 feet above the roof.The air pipe from the squirral fan is positioned about 3 or 4 inches ahead of the bottom lip of the hood.

When the chimney is hot and the fan is fully opened, the flame from newly added coal "bends" into the hood for about a foot or so. The draft is so strong that if you light a match at the mouth of the hood, it will not burn.

Regards,

Kevan

Thanks, Kevan. Fine job, by the way.

Bill

Is it just the heat of the fire that makes it draw so well ... or do you have some kind of fan pulling the smoke out (or is it always really windy there, creating a natural draft)?

I'm setting up my first solid-fuel forge (total newbie to blacksmithing) and want to consider all options. I had always assumed that a side-draft hood would be "smokier" than a hood over top of the fire, at least until you got it roaring hot ... is that not the case?

That looks like a real nice shop you have there. Thanks for posting up.

Crunch,

No fans or extractors, just the heat of the fire and, I think, the length of the stack. Regarding the smokey-ness of a side draft vs the hood, I was of a similar opinion as yourself until I built this thing. In fact even that delightful smell of green coal smoke has been eliminated from the shop now that I have a side-draft.

I also think that Glen from IFI must get the credit as it was to his specifications that I build it. It seems to be that all the respective size ratios are spot on and we have indeed come up with a super sucker.

Kevan