I Forge Iron

Gas forges are cool!

zampilot

I found a flower-pot propane furnace locally and bought it on a whim, maybe for casting stuff. In it's normal position it would get about 4" of a mower blade orange in 3 minutes, with a crumbling 3" cover in place. I set it on it's side and fired it up, cover leaning against it: I was able to flatten/straighten a 16" John Deere mulching blade in about 8 minutes. That's cool! The blade is maked '01T', anyone know if that's for 01 Tool steel?
Gonna get cold here in a month or two, maybe propane is the way to go through the winter.......

I'm thinking 2 skinning knives out of each blade, cutting the blade along the mounting holes to form the handle tang. They'll end up with a 3 or 4" blade.
Hey Pete46, Hattiesburg huh? Ya'll let us know if you see Favre down there playing hooky from the Vikings!
Pics to follow.

I found a flower-pot propane furnace locally and bought it on a whim, maybe for casting stuff. In it's normal position it would get about 4" of a mower blade orange in 3 minutes, with a crumbling 3" cover in place. I set it on it's side and fired it up, cover leaning against it: I was able to flatten/straighten a 16" John Deere mulching blade in about 8 minutes. That's cool! The blade is maked '01T', anyone know if that's for 01 Tool steel?
Gonna get cold here in a month or two, maybe propane is the way to go through the winter.......

PICS:

post-12484-097560200 1283905065_thumb.jp

post-12484-051608300 1283905079_thumb.jp

post-12484-029133600 1283905114_thumb.jp

It works fine so far but I have not 'used' it much except screwing around seeing what it'll do on some scrap steel. The refractory material is the key, one could shape it anyway they want using almost anything as a frame. A .50 cal or 40mm ammo can comes to mind!!

It works fine so far but I have not 'used' it much except screwing around seeing what it'll do on some scrap steel. The refractory material is the key, one could shape it anyway they want using almost anything as a frame. A .50 cal or 40mm ammo can comes to mind!!

I have acouple of those and thought of that too. I even have a few 30 gallon fuel oil barrels and some washing maching and dryer tubs