I Forge Iron

NuLine anvils?

Anyone heard of, familiar with the 'NuLine' anvils?

44# & 66# respectively

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PMTYPE=KEY&SISMNO=16666527&SISHNO=14269144&SIPCNO=0002000917&SIZZNO=64140540&SIS0NO=1490247&SISRC=KG&SISRCH=5&SIT4NO=&SILEVL=3&SILSEQ=1&SIOR=

I stumbled across the name on a search, but can't find it again
and no information turns up on google searches in regards to it's makeup,
reviews etc.

Let's see here now, that's a 66# anvil for around $200 not including shipping, that's extra, so that's about $3/#. For $200 you could find a "real" anvil for that or if you saved up you own weight, not mine, say you weigh about 150#, that'd give you $450 to go anvil shopping with. If you're one of them young fellows that drinks them expensive coffees at $3 a day that'd only take you about 150 days or so. A little sacrifice in life could get you some real decent smithing tools. Just a thought. :blink:

Phil, I'm curious...what's the 'big book' list the prices as?

Let's see here now, that's a 66# anvil for around $200 not including shipping, that's extra, so that's about $3/#. For $200 you could find a "real" anvil for that or if you saved up you own weight, not mine, say you weigh about 150#, that'd give you $450 to go anvil shopping with. If you're one of them young fellows that drinks them expensive coffees at $3 a day that'd only take you about 150 days or so. A little sacrifice in life could get you some real decent smithing tools. Just a thought. :blink:

Interestingly enough, a 15-30 minute drive trumps, and is considerably cheaper than shipping.

What we have, is what is reputedly a 'cast steel' anvil, with little information about it. Hence the post, a request if anyone knew anything or had any INFORMATION about them.
Speculation, guesswork and snarky commentary isn't much in the way of information or assistance.

That's crazy. For $200.00 you could just find yourself a giant chunk of steel and mount it, or hardface it if your really particular. I wouldn't pay much more then 80$ for 60#'s of mass, unless it was some extremely high end jewelers anvil.

India scraps out more ships than just about any other country, it's possible that it is some of that steel, repurposed as a cast steel anvil, still just save up and buy a real anvil or closer than that thing. Take a look at this one, you can find them at some ranch and farm stores. http://www.nctoolco.com/pages/anvils1.htm :blink:
I have done a little bit of work on an NC anvil, not as good as my Fischer or Trenton but for the price not a bad anvil either. <_<

I'm not rushing to buy anything, I stumbled on something a decided to try to find information on it.... think of it as akin to the harbor freight/Russian anvil stuff. If no one got curious, no one would have known about em.

Aside from the coffee thing, I think you'be been pretty good. :-)

If I find something I'm seriously considering putting money for, ill say as much. I'm keeping an eye on cl, networking... caught word of a 200#
Coming up in an estate sale that I'm trying to get info on.

Steel from a ship- recast does not necessarily equal cast steel!

A lot of asian casting is done in cupola furnaces. The result- whether you put in iron or steel is cast iron!

In the absence of any form of testing on the anvil it is, as you say, only a matter of speculation but a cheap anvil coming out of India is far more likely to be cast iron than cast steel.