I Forge Iron

Steel-faced cast-iron anvil ID...............

We went antique-store crawling, my wife looking for spendy furniture and I for anvils/blacksmith stuff. Missed this one the first aisle of the store as she distracted me by looking at the price tag of a table but I caught it with a backward glance on the loop-around. 147 lb anvil, no markings other than an 'X' on the side, horn tip is higher than the table, hour-glass shape depression in the bottom with a filled-in hole. 3/8" Pritchel, 1" Hardie hole, overall fairly rough finish, bounce is good. Note how the curve under the rear of the table seems to reinforce the table end. After the pics I washed it down with water, under the grime is a red-ochre paint everywhere but the table and underside, 5-10% remains. Stand is 33 lbs, the story goes that the stand was the first project the anvil was used to work. It landed aboard a train in Great Falls and made it's way to Bozeman long long ago. Maybe 1960 for what could be. I know, I know: buy the anvil/car/gun/house, NOT the story!
Any ideas who made it?

post-12484-019275500 1283025314_thumb.jp

post-12484-035469200 1283025326_thumb.jp

post-12484-013287700 1283025348_thumb.jp

We went antique-store crawling, my wife looking for spendy furniture and I for anvils/blacksmith stuff. Missed this one the first aisle of the store as she distracted me by looking at the price tag of a table but I caught it with a backward glance on the loop-around. 147 lb anvil, no markings other than an 'X' on the side, horn tip is higher than the table, hour-glass shape depression in the bottom with a filled-in hole. 3/8" Pritchel, 1" Hardie hole, overall fairly rough finish, bounce is good. Note how the curve under the rear of the table seems to reinforce the table end. After the pics I washed it down with water, under the grime is a red-ochre paint everywhere but the table and underside, 5-10% remains. Stand is 33 lbs, the story goes that the stand was the first project the anvil was used to work. It landed aboard a train in Great Falls and made it's way to Bozeman long long ago. Maybe 1960 for what could be. I know, I know: buy the anvil/car/gun/house, NOT the story!
Any ideas who made it?

we have one of those in our shop. It is a good anvil and the face is one of the hardest I have ever encountered on an anvil. I always thought it was a no name Fisher anvil or a product of the company who took over for them. It has the same paint and same weight.

Just kidding about the shooting part.
Maybe I`m jaded but after being in the service and blowing stuff up for real(and getting paid for it)anything less than 50 cal or measured in pounds of C4 is sort of anti-climatic to me.
When things go BOOM I want more than an anvil shaped hole in the ground to show for it. <_<

Maybe I`m jaded but after being in the service and blowing stuff up for real(and getting paid for it)anything less than 50 cal or measured in pounds of C4 is sort of anti-climatic to me.
When things go BOOM I want more than an anvil shaped hole in the ground to show for it. <_<

You loved that job didn'tcha!

I just did an hour of pounding on a piece of wagon wheel rim (a wannabe chef knife) and it's a nice anvil, not loud, and doesnt move around on my stump. Talk about bounce, the anvil bounced the work right out of my tongs a couple of times. I thought cast/steel were not supposed to have that much bounce to them?
Anyone in Mpls/StPaul area interested in a 160 lb Peter Wright?

I just did an hour of pounding on a piece of wagon wheel rim (a wannabe chef knife) and it's a nice anvil, not loud, and doesnt move around on my stump. Talk about bounce, the anvil bounced the work right out of my tongs a couple of times. I thought cast/steel were not supposed to have that much bounce to them?
Anyone in Mpls/StPaul area interested in a 160 lb Peter Wright?

I told you it was hard.

Bob, Try 4oz of det cord filler in a 4" pipe nipple. Makes about a VW size hole. A 32short filled 1/4 full will destroy a toilet bowl(don't ask)
Ken.

EMRTC is just up the hill from here and they have things that go boom on a regular basis.

They do a lot of explosive welding. training---first responder for NBC and explosives, and research---one of the bigger booms since I have been here was them making industrial diamonds using explosives!

The also do a bang-up 4th of July Fireworks display for the city of Socorro!

Their "open house" is a lot of fun too and they just started a new tradition of blowing up graduating NM Tech Senior's old books, papers, etc. (got to go watch when my Daughter graduated!)