I Forge Iron

Ball and Claw feet

As usual, my ambition is preceding my ability. With that in mind-
I have some furniture ideas I want to work with and one design is for ball and claw feet on a table. I have carved them in wood but that was so long ago, I forget how I did it....
Anyone know of a tutorial that I can struggle with? I'd like to use a Bronze ball with forged talons made out of one piece of bar.

Here is a picture of a picture of the ones I did almost 30 years ago. I like the extreme offset of the ankle and would like to reproduce this in steel....

post-6253-066978300 1281589869_thumb.jpg

As usual, my ambition is preceding my ability. With that in mind-
I have some furniture ideas I want to work with and one design is for ball and claw feet on a table. I have carved them in wood but that was so long ago, I forget how I did it....
Anyone know of a tutorial that I can struggle with? I'd like to use a Bronze ball with forged talons made out of one piece of bar.

Here is a picture of a picture of the ones I did almost 30 years ago. I like the extreme offset of the ankle and would like to reproduce this in steel....

From one piece, a four way split on the end, trim to lengths and draw down the talons.

Or you could bundle weld 4 pieces together a la Brian Brazeal's style, then weld this assembly to the leg.

• 2 weeks later...

Some old work in bronze forged an tigged. Four elements. A needle file created the definition of talon where square section meets round. Im not able to help with forging ball and claw from a single bar, anyhow some food for thought.

post-2685-087421900 1282502398_thumb.jpg

That's great first! You got the talons worked out nice. Like you said proportions are next. Makes a nice chicken claw though LOL.

Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like an interesting project. I just wish I could remember these things when I go to the forge!?!

Myloh67
Thanks! that gives me a good sense of how it all went together.

Brian- That cool! What size material did you start with and about how big is the "ball"? Scales good if you after the look of an Egret :D

As far as scale goes- something between what you and Myloh did looks like the ticket for my intention.

The foot was made from an odd cut of copper, so it was 1/4" X 1 1/16". The ball was made from 2 1/4" round stock 3" long, and the ball ended up at 2 5/8" diameter. I have been working on some cranes lately. I was not trying for an eagle claw, just a truer birds foot, instead of my simpler 3 toed version. It is a simple straight forward forging. The toenails were done with near sided half-hammer faced blows. There was no filing except for the burrs after splitting. I hope you all notice the quarter twist after the forging that orients it into the leg and foot.

I went to Brians yesterday and saw this ball he was working on. This thing is a chunk of steel he had been hammering on,Not sure if you can tell by the picture but that ball is between a baseball and a softball in size. It looked as good as the foot to me.

Thanks Brian-
I have a similar size piece of copper. Maybe I give that a go as it will be a dit easier to work... I did notice the twist because thats what makes your version workout looking as great as it does. I will be happy if I can get close.

Nice job Brian! I went out to storage shed this morning looking for an old antique frog gig, thinking about how it was made from a single piece of stock split four ways. When I got to looking at it though, it was forge welded out of two pieces of flat stock that had been split, drawn out to points, barbed and then the two flat sections were forge welded together and a socket made. I think if you wanted to you could make a birds foot that way too. A lot of extra work but still a birds foot. I think there are a whole bunch of solutions to this particular problem, pick the one that suits your skills and equipment the best. Have fun which ever one you choose and take a passel of pictures please. :blink: