I Forge Iron

Suggestions for Beginner Projects to Sell

Hey guys (and gals) I am a beginner blacksmith with a background in all kinds of things involving tools/fabrication. I am in the process of helping my mother market her artwork (she is a primarily a painter). I am going to be doing fairs and art festivals with her and I want some ideas from you experienced folks about what kind of hand forged items sell well and are suitable for a beginner/intermediate smith to crank out. I figure as long as I am at the shows selling her work, I might as well sell some of my own too. I have some ideas, but I would like to hear from some experienced folks on what sells.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, and welcome to the site.

Post your location as this may help, different areas have different requirements/designs, ie steak turners in the US, BBQ forks in the UK

Hooks, barbecue tools, keyrings with different motifs, (leafs, wizards, hats, acorns, etc) small items you can practice on, don't take much storage space when travelling, material costs very small,

There is plenty of advice on other items if you search the site, no doubt others will add to the list.

Up here in Alberta Canada, I sell.....

leaf key chains - various sizes, with the ring on them (10$)

Frederics cross's (they have the hole in the middle)- I punch a hole at the top for a leather tie or for a ring and make it a key chain(15 - 20$)

book marks with a little leaf on the end - I will also put a little design on the flat part (20$)

plant hangers - simple "S" shape of various lengths, some with twists, or abstract type of "S" shape, leaves at the ends of the hooks instead of a taper coil (5 - 20$)

tea light candle holders - basically a length of 1/8 or 3/16 rod, leaves at each end, twisted all over the place and shaped to hold a glass holder for the tea light (20$)

and of course unicorn horse shoes go for 5$ each, sometimes even free if the smile is right

• 6 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2010 at 5:47 AM, John B said:

Post your location as this may help, different areas have different requirements/designs, ie steak turners in the US, BBQ forks in the UK

I've been trying to post my location . do u just put it in your quote or is there a place in your profile for it I haven't found it yet thanks in advance