I Forge Iron

treadmill motor belt grinder build

ironstein

So i bought a fincor motor controller model 2331a. It is supposed to be good for up 2 hp with 220, and 1 hp in 110. i have schematics to hook everything up, but i am curious. The controller has a jumper for 110 or 220. If i run it on 110, the hp rating goes down. I have a treadmill motor (variable speed dc 2.5 hp) I believe treadmill motors are meant for 110 , not 220. The motor plate shows v. arm (voltage at the armature) at 130, and a. arm (amperage at the armature) at 18.2. Can i run 220 to my controller, or should i stick with 110? I'm assuming the controller should convert the power to what i need at what the potentiometer is set at, but i m not an electrician. Gonna hook this up to a 2x72 system i am gonna build, similar to the kmg. Any help would be appreciated.

Question... how are you converting the 110 AC to DC after the motor controller but BEFORE the DC variable? I am guessing you still have the controls from the treadmill?

There are two different ways of doing electricity ... dc vs ac (edison vs tesla) I don't know what you have but you might want to find a person close to you that does do electricity. I would hate to see you burn up your gear or worse.

Brian

Iron,
Wire it up to 220 volts A.C. It will run cooler. Motors don't like low voltage. The controller you have has a built in shunt, and A.C. to D.C. inverter. The 220 volts won't be a convenient as 110. The dynamic braking feature just means that the unit reverses current in the motor field windings acting like a brake, to slow or stop the motor. Just my two cents.

Larry

Thanks for the info Larry. should i make sure to not exceed the voltage on the motor? I believe there are settings to limit voltage to the motor, but the amperage coming from the controller if i hook it to 220 is like 12 amps, the motor says 18.2 amps at the armature. If i am below the rated amperage on the motor that is ok right? I am using variable controller after all. Oh and one more thing, my dc motor has four wires, a red a black, and two blues, i know the red and black are positive and negative, but what are the other two, and do i need to hook them up? I cant seem to find a wiring diagram for the motor.

Most dc motors will do fine with about any dc voltage (within reason). The speed is regulated by adjusting the dc volts. By using your 220v controller on a 110v motor (standard dc motors are 180 vdc and 90 vdc) you are just giving it more speed. Be careful to not exceed amps and you should be fine. Bearings in motor may not last as long going twice as fast though. My guess is the other wires are some kind of signal for the treadmill? Also be aware that if you decrease the speed of a dc motor the horsepower goes down with it, half speed - half hp so dont slow it down and then load it heavy.
Rob

Thanks Rob. I wired it all up with some 10 awg flexible cord and she runs great. Super quiet, and super adjustable. I got the motor for $40, and the controller for $80, great deal when you consider the controller is like $500 bucks new. Tomorrow i will start the grinder build, i'll post some pics when i'm done.
Junker, you couldn't put a dimmer switch on a dc motor, the controller converts ac current into dc. A dimmer would just run ac current to the motor and burn it up.

Heres the grinder. It works great, but i need a new shaft for the drive wheel, and a new tracking wheel. I used a skateboard wheel for the tracking wheel and it works, but isn't as stable as i'd like. The shaft i used i ground down a bit, so it has a bit of a vibration to it. The motor and controller work great.post-9924-066478100 1281909784_thumb.jpe

post-9924-013932100 1281909796_thumb.jpe

post-9924-090699900 1281909809_thumb.jpe