I Forge Iron

guy making scissors

Sam Salvati

Cool. I tweaked some hand-made scissors from Iran for an oriental rug place here in town. They were much more obviously hand-forged, but I still enjoyed getting my hands on them. They had a number of nifty blacksmith made tools for reweaving rugs, if I run across the pictures I'll share them.

Thanks for the link Sam. I love watching people work.:rolleyes:

When the smith fluxed and placed the steel to be welded my download stopped to catch up and it took me a few seconds of wondering how long is that guy going to keep his fingers on the HOT steel? before I realized it was bandwidth NOT superhuman heat resistance.

It makes me think about forging a pair of shears, then again I THINK about a lot of things.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

Both my Grandmother and Mother could tell pretty precisely what temp the iron (clothes) or griddle was at with a drop of water. I don't see one reason a person couldn't tell the proper tempering temp by watching water boil off with practice.

Then again, he may have been removing scale. Not speaking Japanese I don't know.

Frosty the Lucky.

Both my Grandmother and Mother could tell pretty precisely what temp the iron (clothes) or griddle was at with a drop of water. I don't see one reason a person couldn't tell the proper tempering temp by watching water boil off with practice.

Then again, he may have been removing scale. Not speaking Japanese I don't know.

Frosty the Lucky.

Your right frost. I don't remember the temps ranges but the way water behaves on hot metal does give the temps. At different ceteratures water will act differently: do nothing but slowly steam away, boil off fast, dance around until it evaporates, or water will dance to/off the edge of the surface.

Like i said I dont remember the temo ranges for each of these, but a little research on google will probably help find this info.
I found this info originally about camping and cooking on a campfire with no thermometer of set the griddle temps you have to be able to tell other wasy

I noticed a couple of things in my second watching, one was that the master smith sure chocked up high on the hammer handle and was thinking of all the times a kid when I'd get screamed at for doing that, another thing was that it doesn't take a huge anvil to turn out quality work. I don't know how much of that anvil is below grade but it sure didn't look like it was a big old huge 250# anvil but a high quality block of steel.
I wonder how much a pair of those scissors cost? <_<