I Forge Iron

website pics

double_edge2

I was flicking through the pages of the giant interweb book on the computer this morning, and stumbled on a site that, like mine had coke for sale. Like my site, the site in question had a small picture from my camera of said coke for sale that.... wait...who's photo?

my photo, my site,

13022010410.jpg

http://www.brisbaneblacksmithsupplies.com/cokecharcoal

the site in question using my copyright photo...bottom right hand corner...

http://www.blacksmithing.com.au/forsale.php

I dont mind that much, I just thought the whole copyright thing, would indicate that permission be sought for use or payment/something offered for use of said copyright material. like a copyright dvd?
I love looking at the millions of blacksmith pictures on the the internet, i marvel at the many items, skill, finishes, and diverse ideas, click on them and save, but use as my own, without asking?...never!

am i wrong?, is it not my photo, and should they have asked if it is my picture?

just a thought of the morning.

Someone on the net pirating stuff? This is news?

OTOH you don't need a copy right sticker on it. It's copyrighted to you upon it's creation.

I'd send them an email complaining but unless you are willing to sue your best bet will be "social" means (which you have started already with this post...)

Yes, they should have asked, or at the very least given you a photo credit but maybe find solace that "imitation is flattery". I'd email them and ask for some renumeration for using your photo- and maybe get some free coke/ tools out of the deal?? :)

This has happened to me a couple of times and I always try and keep it friendly at the outset. For minor infringement like this, just email them a heads-up that you've noticed the use of your photo on their site, inform them that all of your photography/images are CR'd and can't be used without your express permission. If they don't remove it in a timely manner, have an attorney draw up a "cease and desist" letter and deliver it via registered mail.

If you know for sure that they've done it with lack of regard or ill intent, then you can ratchet it up a notch if you feel its worth pursuing.

Yes, they should have asked, or at the very least given you a photo credit but maybe find solace that "imitation is flattery". I'd email them and ask for some renumeration for using your photo- and maybe get some free coke/ tools out of the deal?? :)

"imitation is flattery".

I thought that, and will probably not even email them about it(not over a pic of coke anyway), it has, to my knowledge, not happened to me before.

legal action for a return of maybe 6 cents, in a bank with high interest!, i got it made!.....lol

Having been a seme-professional photographer for the last 12 years, I can say a little.

1) Its only been viewed 4 times? can't be right, since all of us at least have looked at it.
2) I looked for a contact to ask your permission, didn't find one from flickr.
3) It is an advertisement for what seems to be a professional site, payment would be expected to use your pic.
4) Compensation would be inorder for the amount of time it has been used, as small as it is, say $100 US would be about what I would charge.

With the title you used, no keywords to describe, I would guess the webmaster had been purusing you blacksmithing pics. I would follow the link to the webmaster, mailto:info%40blacksmithing.com.au. They have a copyright symbol at the bottom of their page! So they want their stuff protected.

I would contact them, you may be surprised with a check!

Jeff

Im not really sure its a big deal. They are not selling your photo or profiting from your artistic property, they are merely using it to describe their product, that is coke. They should have taken their own picture, but its too easy to find stock photos.
Ask them to put a disclaimer

Hi Mike, I take it the reason you have shown the photo of your coke is as a sample of what you have for sale for your clients to view. I have heard around the trade someone in victoria is selling coke cheep and that its no good for forging maybe this mob just want people to think this is the same coke they are selling. I would ask for the photo to be removed. Cheers John. ;)

p.s. Retired and Loving it.

Hi Mike, I take it the reason you have shown the photo of your coke is as a sample of what you have for sale for your clients to view. I have heard around the trade someone in victoria is selling coke cheep and that its no good for forging maybe this mob just want people to think this is the same coke they are selling. I would ask for the photo to be removed. Cheers John. ;)

p.s. Retired and Loving it.

The coke i sell is from illawarra NSW. if it is not that coke, he was selling, it would be fraudulent i guess on his behalf. flickr is copyright, any one can view. its how i get my pics from the phone to the web. i dont advertise the flickr thing, unless i want someone to see a pick or something i made etc. viewd times would be right. from flickr i move to my site near when i added pics for coke.

coke you cant forge with? i have heard that before. mine you roll your smoke at the wrong time and you got slush. sparkly slush..in fact im gonna send a barrel to the old man in perth for him and the club he is in there, BAWA, as he sais no good coke in west.aus.

Just rang Oscar from the site in question. I dont think he knows what the webmaster did. and its not the same coke he sells.
seemed friendly enough about it, no apology..lol. German arrogance..

thankyou all for the input,

mike