I Forge Iron

80# anvil?

toolsshoppic027.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
thats the anvil, cast iron, for $160. It also says Vulcan in the description. I mainly want to forge knives. Do you think this is right for me and for the price? This would be my first anvil.

Edit: Also, I don't really know how to set up an anvil for use (I can't imagine using it straight off the ground), so if any of you could give me ideas, that would be much appreciated.

Ok, I have never purchased an anvil before, so I don't know what's acceptable. Thanks for the advice. I do live in an anvil poor area, can any of you give me some ideas on makeshift anvils i can use?

I wouldn't give US$1 a pound for it much less $2! A big chunk of scrap steel would make a better starter anvil.

Now if you are in an anvil poor area, can't spend time hunting a good one, have money to burn, and have to have a *quiet* anvil. Then I might say maybe; but a Fisher would be twice the anvil that is.

Knifemaking does profit from having a smooth face to your anvil and tools and Vulcans have a quite thin steel face so you can't smooth them down with a sander any without risking getting too thin.

http://www.iforgeiro...ur-anvil-stand/

Getting a log is nice, but you can get fancier. Call up whoever sells firewood in your area and tell them you want a round log, squared off, at least the diagonal across the anvil feet, and a few inches taller than makes the anvil face at your wrist.

You will then need to cut the log square and true and to the desired height, typically between knuckle high and wrist high when standing straight upright with your arms relaxed at the side gripping a hammer handle.

That anvil look very rough. If the edges were clean then it would be a fair price. Keep looking, use craigslist, search daily. Craigslook.com is a nice utility too. Ask everybody, you will be surprised what can turn up from the most unlikely places.

BTW, where on Earth are you? IFI is represented by over 50 countries, etc..

Phil

If you're looking to make primarily knives and other bladework, try looking for a local metal supplier and ask how much a block of tool steel will cost.
Maybe something along the lines of 4"x4"x12" or 5"x5"x12", or as long as you like. Many bladesmiths use block anvils like that (eg. Japanese swordsmiths) because you don't really need the horn or other features found on traditional anvils, just a good flat face (and nice clean edges on a new block of steel are just a bonus).
I bet you could get quite a chunk of steel for $160.00 - instead of a beat up old Vulcan.
And a tool steel block anvil will last you forever ... or so.
Think about it

http://www.iforgeiro...ur-anvil-stand/

Getting a log is nice, but you can get fancier. Call up whoever sells firewood in your area and tell them you want a round log, squared off, at least the diagonal across the anvil feet, and a few inches taller than makes the anvil face at your wrist.

You will then need to cut the log square and true and to the desired height, typically between knuckle high and wrist high when standing straight upright with your arms relaxed at the side gripping a hammer handle.

That anvil look very rough. If the edges were clean then it would be a fair price. Keep looking, use craigslist, search daily. Craigslook.com is a nice utility too. Ask everybody, you will be surprised what can turn up from the most unlikely places.

BTW, where on Earth are you? IFI is represented by over 50 countries, etc..

Phil

I think a log will do nicely, thanks. I'm in North Dakota btw

Kevin,

Is this listed with the guy in Bismarck? I am in Billings and have tried to stop at his shop a few times, but he isn't very forth coming about opening at different than normal working hours.

I would pass on this one and keep your eyes open for something else. I was in an antique shop in Choteau, MT a couple months ago and when the guy found out I did some blacksmith work the price of the 200+ anvil in good shape, started dropping right away. I have no need for another anvil at this time (still have a want for more - but then don't we all) so I passed.

My 2 Cents worth....

John