I Forge Iron

Made the Evening News

http://www.kulr8.com/news/local/Billings-Summerfair-98715829.html

Wasn't even in the Naughty, Naughty list either...

This is a link to one of our local stations here in Billings, MT. I had a booth at a the Art Museum's "Summerfair"

I am the round headed fellow in the blue baseball cap and ugly shirt.

This was my best show ever and have had contacts to make custom work already. Nice to hit a lick now and then.

I have seen some great profiles on a few smiths on this site. If you get some press post it here so we can all see.

How have any of your art show/festivals been this summer? Selling things? What is selling best?

For some reason, horseshoes are selling the best at craft fairs. I tell a romantic story that concerns horseshoes while I make them and I think that helps. I even had a young couple get engaged right under my tent after one of the stories. (Yes, I gave them the horseshoe for free.)

this is my first season doing demos and have so far done 4. I go out with one or two other local Blacksmiths this way while one looks around or rests the others are still pounding. I sell leaf key chains, Frederick crosses, book marks, and plant hangers. The smallest show was my best sales day with 5 pieces sold.

Interesting that horseshoes are selling best - they must be horse people who appreciate the difficulty of a handmade shoe.

I sold a nice pile of hooks. Few were matched, most people wanted random sizes and shapes. Hard to out-guess the buying public.

I spent 5 years being an Agriculture Broadcaster and then another 5 years as a executive for cattle associations, so I am comfortable being interviewed.

What kind of insurance do you have to carry to do a demo?

Why didn't they shoot some of the action?

Here in Holland we had a small craftsfair two weeks ago which got to the local evening news. Just click the link to see the vid. It's in dutch, but you'll understand the blacksmithing part for sure.

http://www.omroepflevoland.nl/Nieuws/72358/oude-ambachten-herleven-op-bataviawerf

cheers

What kind of insurance do you have to carry to do a demo?

If your guild/club doesn't have insurance I would suggest that ya'll look into it. I belong to Saltfork Craftsmen, the Oklahoma ABANA affilliate, and we are covered through Saltfork but we have to contact a board member prior to the event. I have done that in the past and still do if I have a concern. I guess I really should every time...better to be covered and not need it than to be not covered and need it! I'm sure you could contact Saltfork to find out who we have the policy with.
Congrats on the news coverage!

Veluvia,

Where are you in Holland? I have family who are in Rotterdam. My Great Grandfather came to Montana about the turn on the 20th century. My folks and Uncles just went to Holland to visit some cousins this spring. Came home with many beautiful pictures.

Where you in the video?

During the art show I wasn't demonstrating so there wasn't anything to show there. Thanks for the info Thomas if I do a demo I will contact Saltfolk. You boys down south may be used to forging in 100 degree heat, but our thick northern blood + 100 degrees temps + a belching forge = not a lot of fun up north!

John

Hi John,

I live in Zeewolde, and my smithy is in Harderwijk. Both not near Rotterdam. The video was shot on the Bataviawerf, where they have built the replica of the Batavia and now working on the replica of the "Zeven Provincien" (Seven Provinces, flagship of the dutch fleet under command of admiral De Ruyter during the war against England). The Bataviawerf is located in Lelystad. Also not near Rotterdam.

Yes I am in the video, the guy working on a chainlink at the very begin of the video, thats me.

If your family is interested in blacksmithing too; I will be doing a two day demontration in Schiedam next weekend. Schiedam is near Rotterdam.

Reinier

Veluvia,

Where are you in Holland? I have family who are in Rotterdam. My Great Grandfather came to Montana about the turn on the 20th century. My folks and Uncles just went to Holland to visit some cousins this spring. Came home with many beautiful pictures.

Where you in the video?

During the art show I wasn't demonstrating so there wasn't anything to show there. Thanks for the info Thomas if I do a demo I will contact Saltfolk. You boys down south may be used to forging in 100 degree heat, but our thick northern blood + 100 degrees temps + a belching forge = not a lot of fun up north!

John

You have to be an active Saltfork member to work under their insurance canopy. I would recommend that the 'powers that be' in your guild contact our 'powers to be' to get info on insurance for your group.