I Forge Iron

Another tong and tool ID

Hi all !
I got a trailer full of goodies last week-end,(two complete coal forges and about 90 tongs,punches,and others) almost everything needs some repair and adjustment but that's OK since the price paid was in my opinion a fair one.($175.00+ a 150 pound Peter Wright in pretty bad shape).
Anyways, here's my question : does anyone know what the tongs(tools)in the last 2 photos are used for ?

Thanks in advance !
Naz.

post-8684-064778300 1278631529_thumb.jpg

post-8684-063730500 1278631562_thumb.jpg

post-8684-042125200 1278631592_thumb.jpg

post-8684-055700500 1278631625_thumb.jpg

Tong #4 is for gripping flat bar stock. Grab a piece of 2" X 1/4" bar and you will see how it works (though it may be intended for some other size... can't tell dimensions from the pics).

Thanks, do you know what the square hole on the small added bar is used for ?

Thanks, do you know what the square hole on the small added bar is used for ?

am sure bigfoot meant number 3. As he said it is for holding square/ rectangular bar that fits between the 'ears'. They have a great grip, easy to pick up the bar. However only for a narrow size range. Of course you can hot adjust them as well.
The others i don't know nufin! When they are named maybe i should post some mystery tongs that baffle me!
regs,
AndrewOC
ps good score with the trailer load

I agree with Brian that #1 is a hoof nipper. They are kind of "cheesy" and formerly were pictured in farm catalogs; not as good as the more expensive ones where there were TWO sharpened jaws coming together. The #3 tongs we always called "clip tongs," and in the early days they were often used when forging flat stock lathe tools. If the "clips" or "ears" are full length on the jaw, we called them "box tongs," used in pretty much the same way. My first thought on #2 was a crucible holder, which has already been mentioned.

#4 is anybody's guess. I have some plow share tongs that have two sets of jaws going to one pair of reins. One set of jaws attaches to the top of the share length while the other set attaches to the bar behind. They are a real "whimsey" as lots of folks wonder what they are.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools