I Forge Iron

New to the site

Hi all,
I am new to the site and have a question. Is there a place on here with plans or drawings? If so I was unable to find it.
I am planing on building a campfire tripod and was just looking for some more ideas. I know it is a simple project but it doesn't hurt to have more ideas.
Thanks

Out of three lengths of 3/8" round or square, forge a turned eye at the end of each. Run the pointed end of one rod through the eyes of the other two, so that all three eyes are adjacent. Spread into a tripod. If the eyes are large enough, you can hang an S-hook or trammel from one of them.

There is a great book from Lorelei Sims called "The Backyard Blacksmith" with plans for a nice tripod in there.

Here's a couple cooksets I've done recently...

37298_418069091920_606876920_5041294_497

37367_419979666920_606876920_5097162_466

Hope it helps!

BTW... Welcome to the forum!

For *large* tripods for heavy loads---150 pounds of beans for example; I like to take the bottom of the tripod legs and forge a small point on them---say 2" then bend and flatten a short section of leg to make it so that the tripod is resting on a wider flat piece of metal to prevent sinking and with a short point in the ground to prevent sliding. The flat also provides a place to step on to drive the point in!

The exact angles of the legs and flats depends on the tripod and how you like it set up.

For pretty I like counter twisting.

Paul42
Is that tripod made of 1/2" ? It looks like it. That is what I was going to use for the one I am working on now. I decided on half inch because this thing is going to get some hard and heavy use. Also Igot a 19 foot joint of it for 3 bucks
Thanks for the picks

Julius... close, it's 5/8". You got a much better price though...lol! Three, 5' pieces were about $50.00 for me. :blink:

I couldn't make any money at those prices. I always by remnants from my local steel yard.
Remnants here are around 35 cents a pound

You're a lucky guy Julius, most wrecking and scrap yards are going to single buyer contracts with China and no longer making private sales.

Do you remember the old TV show, "Salvage 1 ?" It was based on an aerospace junk yard not far from Burbank back when. Dad used to take me there occasionally when he was looking for exotics for the shop. It was about 35-40 acres piled about 20'-30' deep with the absolutely coolest metal salvage on earth. If I'd had the money I would've been the only 16 year old with my own Apollo capsule w/service module and Agena booster. I would've settled for either the bathysphere or maybe sea mines but Dad said not unless I could pay for em myself . <sigh> I did get some really cool stuff though, just not a space craft or weapon system.

Frosty the Lucky.

I only go to scrap and wrecking yards for specific things. The scrap yards I do go to are small privately owned yards. I buy most of my working stock from B and B steel yard. they sell to evry one.