I Forge Iron

identify and value this anvil

Hi all

I realize this is a tall order the owner of teh anvil wants $200 I do think however that there is room for negotiating. He claims its 200 years old and he is a very old gentleman that had a lot of trouble getting this one pic to me. I cant see any marking sthe pics is not very clear. Apparently its a 93 pounder, to me it looks to be in bad shape and I should pass it up, what are your thoguhts.

Anvil.pdf

It looks just like my 86 pound trenton! My trenton is in good condition with moderate niches in the edges and I paid $2.00 a pound for it.
That one doesn't look much like it has adges. If it was $50.00 yes, for a future rebuild. At $200 I wouldn't!

Just my thoughts!

Dave

It looks just like my 86 pound trenton! My trenton is in good condition with moderate niches in the edges and I paid $2.00 a pound for it.
That one doesn't look much like it has adges. If it was $50.00 yes, for a future rebuild. At $200 I wouldn't!

Just my thoughts!

Dave

Thanks I am gonna give it a pass thanks again.

Definitely not a 200 year old anvil; most probably around 100 years old. In pretty bad shape. Unless you are in a totally anvil free area I'd pass even if he dropped the price substantially.

BTW if you add your general location to your profile folks might be able to tell you about possible local deals.

I thought that Stuart had found you one near by for 50 dollars?

any way....... PASS......is my opinion....... you wouldn't be able (literally) to make any thing on that

alec

EDIT: sorry.... just found out that it was already sold (the $50 one)

Thanks all, I called him and told him $20 he informed me he sold it to an amateur blacksmith for $175, poor guy anyways thanks for the help. Iam on the hunt I have been calling at least 2 people a day for ads and spreading flyers etc.

Thanks all, I called him and told him $20 he informed me he sold it to an amateur blacksmith for $175, poor guy anyways thanks for the help. Iam on the hunt I have been calling at least 2 people a day for ads and spreading flyers etc.

Try local business bankruptcy auctions. Anvils come on those regularly.