I Forge Iron

Forge welded Cable Knife

Chad J

Here is the latest for a gentleman at work. It is made from some crane cable i salvaged from work. it is 8" x 1", with a 4" handle.
The handle is some jatoba (common to the Caribbean, Central and South America) with two 1/4"mosaic pins and four 1/8" brass rod.

post-4006-021158800 1276470979_thumb.jpg
post-4006-036745700 1276470982_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome. Chad J

Here is the latest for a gentleman at work. It is made from some crane cable i salvaged from work. it is 8" x 1", with a 4" handle.
The handle is some jatoba (common to the Caribbean, Central and South America) with two 1/4"mosaic pins and four 1/8" brass rod.

post-4006-021158800 1276470979_thumb.jpg
post-4006-036745700 1276470982_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome. Chad J

Fantastic knife! slick city!

Hey Chad,
that has some nice clean simple lines to it. He should like it a lot, if he doesn't you can send it to me ;)

What size cable did you start with?

hey BIGGUNDOCTOR thanks for the comment. that Cable was 1 1/4" from the crane's main whip line. and after i showed him the knife i couldn't get it back to show other people!

Thats a nice looking knife. I like cable a lot. What grit did you sand to prior to etching. The dark colors look great. Good job.

hey LDW, thanks, i sanded to 400 grit then a glass bead blasted it, to give it a satin look that you really can't see from the photos. then a etch secession for 30 minutes in 1:7 ferric chloride/water solution.

Ed Caffrey has said that he gets ferric chloride from radio shack but at our local store they don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Do u have any suggestions on that?

I had the same problem, i went in and asked for ferric chloride and got the deer in the head light look. Went home and looked it up on there web site and found there catalog number and took it in to them and THEN they found it! Model: 276-1535 | Catalog #: 276-1535

Hope that helps Chad J

I had the same problem, i went in and asked for ferric chloride and got the deer in the head light look. Went home and looked it up on there web site and found there catalog number and took it in to them and THEN they found it! Model: 276-1535 | Catalog #: 276-1535

Hope that helps Chad J

Thanks much! I'll have to pay them another visit! FYI Ed uses 3:1 on his mixture...