I Forge Iron

Leaf Springs have lost their spring- Help?

Hi all,

I have this hand forged antique wolf/bear leg hold trap which the previous owner had heated the leaf springs so they would lose their spring...sorry I don't know the correct termnology for that. Apparentlly he was afraid someone would hurt themselves on it since it has huge teeth on it, but I'd like to restore it to its original condition. Is it possible to put the spring back into the springs? And without removing the springs from the trap?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi all,

I have this hand forged antique wolf/bear leg hold trap which the previous owner had heated the leaf springs so they would lose their spring...sorry I don't know the correct termnology for that. Apparentlly he was afraid someone would hurt themselves on it since it has huge teeth on it, but I'd like to restore it to its original condition. Is it possible to put the spring back into the springs? And without removing the springs from the trap?

Thanks,
Mark

In theory yes, depends on the size and what you have in the way of heating and quenching it to accommodate it when you are restoring it

Hi all,

Thanks,
Mark

Unless you plan to put it to it`s intended use I`d leave well enough alone.The trap has been rendered safe.
If you re-temper the spring I can almost guarantee some slow head will try and demonstrate how it works and injure either himself or somebody else.
Just my $.02

Mark,
You don't sound like you are experienced in heat treatment and tempering so don't try to do this without experienced help being present. This is not a beginner's project. You could take the trap to a truck spring repair shop and pay them do the job if they will. Some can be quite contrary about doing work outside their normal routine. You won't get a guarantee I am certain.
Ted