I Forge Iron

Hand Slitting Shear

john_zxz

Hi,
Does someone know if there is a hand slitting shear good enough to cut a flat bar of 2" x 3/8" (or 2" x 5/16") and 1/2" rod? The metal is mild steel.
If there isn't any model that can handle this material, what can I use to cut it without electricity. I don't want to heat the long bar and cut it on my hardy.
My shop is too small to move 12' bars around. I tried an electric metal cutting saw but it sucked too much electricity that the breaker jumped.

If someone has a solution for me, thanks anyway.

John_zXz

a edwards shear should do what you want tho it works better if you have a friend to help as its hard to hold the piece and run the lever at the same time.. hera is a link to one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Edwards-Shear-5A-1-/260378037454?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3c9fbd8cce ive used one and wouldnt mind haveing one again tho i think i would hook it to a hydraulic cylinder and a foot switch . would make it easyier to run by yourself... good luck!

You could use an angle grinder with one of the very thin cutting disks. If you already have an angle grinder then this is a very cheap way of doing it, especially if it is just a one off job.

Will that actually do 3/8 X 2?
according to theyre adds from 1917 it will do 4 in X 1/2 in soft steel now i actually used mine on 2x 1/4 strap without any problems i tried doing 4 pieces of 3/8 square at a time and had problems with it moveing as i couldnt hold it and run the lever .. had a 6 ft long lever on it and from others ive seen thats about right .. one tough piece if you get one mount it down SECURELY there is a lot of leverage there...

Thanks dablacksmith for the shear link.
I'll try to get one as it seems to be great for what I want to do.
I'll have to find one that is nearer of me or the shipping will be a little high.

J.A. I already tried the angle grinder. It works very fine but I want to do a lot
of cutting so I'll have to buy a lot of cutting disk. Also I like to work with only mechanical
tools. The less electrical tools I use, the best for me.
(I'm doing blacksmithing as a hobby so I don't mind with the time thing...)

So I guess the solution for me is the shear.

Thanks for your help guys.

John_zXz

I do quite a bit by hand because of power issues; not because I'm tight but because I run my workshop on the little solar power and a back up genny (which I try not to use unless I have to).

When I don't have the power for a grinder and I need to cut some bar I either reach for a hacksaw or use the flypress with a cutter in it. Mostly if there is a job that needs lots of power (like cutting a load of steel for a course, or cutting something that needs the big grinder, or welding of course), I wait until there is a bunch of things to do and start the genny for a short spell.

A bench shear is the way to go, far quicker, cheaper and easier to use than any power tool, they come in different sizes for different ranges and sections of material sizes, 2" x 3/8" is a reasonably easy capacity to cut on a bench mounted shear.

They can also be mounted at floor level to make it easier to cut long lengths when bringing them into the workshop.

If you are outside and have limited space in the workshop, I have mounted one of these shears to a plank, parked a vehicle on the plank to anchor it, and then used the shear to cut the metal before bringing it into the workshop, or loading onto a trailer if collecting from a stockholder.

For smaller sections, particularly rounds and squares, bolt croppers can also be used.

I recall seeing a notched plate with a notched lever that you lock the bar in, then pull. (possibly in the missing blueprints) Seemed to work well for flats, but I am not sure how thick, but a long enough lever would help. The cut would be less than pretty, but seemed to work well. The idea is to twist the material cold in a small isolated section till it tore.

Phil

• 1 month later...

I can't find an old bench shear like the Edwards one. The ones that I saw on ebay don't ship to other countries.
I tried to find new ones here so I recently found this bench shear on Bosstool at 250$CND.
Does anyone know if it is a decent quality tool?
I never bought any TJL tool so I don't know if they are good.

Specifications:

Round Steel: 1.1" (28 MM)
Flat Steel: 1.6" x 0.5" (40 x 12 MM)
Square Steel: 1 x 1" (24 x 24 MM)
Size: 18 x 11 x 17

I guess that the 1" square is cut by turning the piece in the shear to cut it from every side.
Also, does a bench shear leaves a "V" cut like when cold cutting steel on anvil with a cold cutter?

Thanks

post-9026-087340200 1278633589_thumb.jpg

I
I guess that the 1" square is cut by turning the piece in the shear to cut it from every side.
Also, does a bench shear leaves a "V" cut like when cold cutting steel on anvil with a cold cutter?

Thanks

It should not need turning, and it may well distort the end slightly but not like a V