I Forge Iron

coffee table

Sam Salvati

Here is a coffee table I have been working on for a couple weeks on nights here and there. It's hard to explain what's goin on so i'll let you look at the pictures and figure it out. I got the rock maple table top, it was a workbench top 3'/6', had my little mini atlas lathe and an atlas band saw on it, my boss got the other 2/3rds. Legs are just mild steel, with a 3/4" ball on the feet tips and a tapered rope twist. the top texture I call a "dancing twist", It's fullered on 1" radius dies, fullered then advanced 1 thickness of the dies and turned 45 degrees. Left the top all antiqued and stuff, I hand scraped the whole thing.

l_7b25d69e45844db9b5ef6ce44316040d.jpg

l_894d791f8d20429182320d2050261b9b.jpg

l_a134e9e4b9a742b5823ca65b3ff4dec6.jpg

l_cf9c4560f5734904be04f982982f72af.jpg

l_59cbd65d7298449b81e5dc9815b6720a.jpg

Sam,

I really like your aesthetic taste and surface treatment. Is the table completely stable with those sweeping legs?

H

thanks Hollis. I will oil the steel and wood, then scrub lightly the steel with a sheetrock sanding sponge, which will only polish and highlight the ridges on the twist.

It is about as stable as if they were straight, draw a 4" square, then draw a dot 1" away from each corner, then connect the dots, it's a square in a square.

VERY interesting Sam! I like the concept and the nice smooth curves very much! It is far harder than most people realize to get those nice gentle curves but they look so graceful! The legs are beautiflly tapered also. I think the "dancing twist" while interesting seems a little sharp edged to me... I might like it better with some regular twist added on top of it or maybe reforged round a little. A thought inducing piece of work with several layers of interest to investigate, very sculptural, very nice! I like the very subtle twists near the ball feet very much also! It seems to be about 1" square stock originally, is that right?

that would have been a "just" a blades man from a girl who hasnt and probably wont make ever a decent blade and has the UTMOST respect for you incrdible blade makers! just thought i would underline that- my post sounded a bit dissmissive!

Thanks everyone!

Beth, i got what you meant hehe :D

Scott, I got them from my boss' secret stash :D Fastenal has or can get them.

BFNampa, sharp lines give definition and clarity. I cheated a bit to get the curves so nice and even hehe, I grabbed a 4 foot diameter wagon wheel from the resource pile to bend them over :D

Chyan, It's got this effect that it's always moving!

Thanks NR, gonna try it in 2" square :D

Sam,

I think your finish idea is great and the highlights will make all the difference. I have tried a lot of finishes on iron and more or less settled on sandblasting the entire piece to be free of scale then I cold blue with my own shop mix of phosphoric acid and Oxpho bluing from Brownell's (I used to apply black phosphate to a lot of industrial parts and developed my own process recipe). After it's dry, I abrade it all over with 220 grit and clear coat. The only problem with not removing all the scale prior to finish is that it will very often chip later and create a great place for rust to get a foothold. This seldom happens when the piece is used indoors but it's pretty much a guarantee if the ironwork goes outside and experiences thermal cycles combined with normal seasonal weather.

Again I say - very nice work...

Hollis

• 10 months later...