I Forge Iron

What's the word on Fisher Anvils

Hi guys,
I'm scoping out a 275lb Fisher anvil - it's in prime condition, the table looks flat and the edges look pristine (at least in the photo), but I don't know anything about Fishers.

What can you tell me?
How are they built?
Composition? [cast steel, cast iron base/steel top, wrought iron base/steel top, etc]
Quality?
How would you rate them? [poor, fair, good, excellent]
What would you be willing to pay for a 275lb Fisher?
Anything else you can think of?

Thanks
Sam

Fisher anvils are well built and real quality. They are quiet compared to a Peter Wright which I like so I have 4 of them. For a 275 lb in that good a condition I'd go $700 - 900 easy. I don't think anyone could be disappointed with a Fisher anvil, especially if you got it cheap.... ;)

I have my Dad's 260# Fisher, and it is a great anvil. Quieter than my other anvils. Njanvilman runs the Fisher-Norris museum, and can give you some history on this brand. Also search Fisher in the anvil forum, you will get a bunch of posts.

As for price. Dad paid $250 for his, and I have paid right around $1 a pound for all of mine. Having said that, it is worth what YOU are willing to pay. If you can afford $2-$3-$4 a pound, and you want it, then get it. If you are happy with the purchase, than it really doesn't matter how much it costs. It is a good quality anvil, and it will outlast you if you take care of it.

I have a big Fisher and it a great anvil. If you love to hear the ring of an anvil you will not like a Fisher, they don't ring since they are made of cast iron. That's one of the things I do like about my Fisher, no ear pain whatsoever. They have a steel face that is thick so there is little chance of you wearing it out in your life time. If it pristine you will want to put a small radius on the edge of the face since they do tend to chip out a bit. I bought my so long ago that I don't remember just how much I paid for it but it wasn't much because most folk didn't think it was worth much since it was just an old cast iron anvil that was surplussed from the Navy. <_<

I'm here to chime in. Please remember that all Fisher anvils have a steel face welded to the cast iron. That is what makes it a Fisher anvil. I hate it Fishers are called only a "cast iron" anvil.

Value is what you can pay or afford, and how bad you want it. Shipping or the ability to pick it up also factors into the value. If it is in good shape, try to negotiate the best deal you can get. You will only pay once, then get a lifetime of use out of it. With proper use, it will never wear out. Many more generation will get use out of it.

If you have any specific questions about the anvil, fire away.

Thanks everyone for all the information.
Unfortunately my offer fell through - I could only offer him $500.00 for it (...that's all I've got right now...) and he felt it was too low and offer (it only worked out to $1.81/lb). At least he didn't seem too insulted by it - he didn't call me any nasty names or anything. So, I'll continue to squirrel away bits of cash whenever I can and build up my anvil fund. I'm lucky enough that i already have an anvil, I'm just looking for a bigger one.
Thanks again.

Sam

I love my big Fisher, it's my main shop anvil---and I'm not "anvil poor".

The nice quiet thwap instead of TING, the hard face---it's a joy to use.

Some people consider Fisher's to be on a second tier due to their construction; but my 400# Trenton is shoved over to the armouring side of the shop while I use the Fisher for forging!

When I bought mine---about 10 years ago in Columbus OH, USA---I paid US$350 for it in *MINT* condition.

I don't know the anvil market where you are but I don't think your offer was an insult; just low.

NJ---I don't think he was dissing the construction just remarking on what fools those idiots were to *not* know that the Fisher is not just a cast iron anvil but was a great anvil with a great steel face! (much thicker and harder than the Vulcans were!).