I Forge Iron

I pulled this off the web.

Other physical properties:

Mercury freezing point: -38.72 degrees C

Mercury boiling point: 357 degrees C

Mercury density 13.6

So mercury vapor will not occur until it reaches 357C.?

Maybe some mechanical thrashing could produce vapors?

Mecury doesn't sound that vaporous to me. ?? is it?

Mercury vapors occur at room temperature. In daguerreotype photography about 90F was used. Mercury's triple point, where liquid, solid and vapor occur equally is 234.2K at a rather low pressure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

234.2 kelvin = -38.11 degrees Fahrenheit
Phil

How the heck did we ever manage to stay around long enough to get old?
Next thing you know I won`t be allowed to drink directly from the garden hose or run with shears in my hand(not that I`ve been involved in any cutting emergencies that couldn`t be solved with a knife).

Reading all of this, I wish I were old! :P

I never got to run with sharp objects, play with mercury (even in the chemistry lab), OR drink from the garden hose. No fun!

Be VERY careful what you wish for!
Old will get here far before you`re ready for it,trust me on that.
Given the alternatives it`s not such a bad deal though.If you`re lucky you go out bald,toothless and wearing a diaper.Pretty much returning to your roots,pun intended.

I have seen it used in lighthouses to make the bearing for the lens assembly. The whole rotating lens rides on/ in a large tub or mercury.. and there were vents for the fumes... And I am talking about several thousand pounds of Fresnel glass and brass from a 100 and something year old light house. The only updates were electric lamps and electric motors to spin the lens.

Still amazes me that 150 year old engineering and optics can only be updated with a better electric lamp and motor.. the optics and construction can't be improved.. the buildings... well they can use conservation..

The thread about mercury and its uses reminded me of this..
Cliff

I have a couple small jars of it and a few mercury switches that I got just to collect the mercury from them, it's like a lot of things, sure it's dangerous if you don't know how to handle it safely but the way they blow some things way out of proportion cracks me up sometimes. Of coarse on the flip side there are somethings that are extremely dangerous and unsafe and no body seems to care.

welder19