I Forge Iron

KA 150 Rebuild in progress...

So this is my other ongoing hammer project.... I have had the cylinder tubes honed and polished, Built a new set of 4340 dies and built new pistons and rods... Am putting in 6 new springs... I hope to pour the babbit bearings this weekend ( as you can see I was testing the line up by clamping up the dies)

4588230584_d1e87de70d.jpg
4588230532_ce8306f633.jpg
4588230460_a112faea3f.jpg

Cant wait to see some vid of that in action but, I think you need to step it up, I know where there are a couple Niles Bement that need some work. ;)

Yeah the difference being that these little hammers are easy to move and store until I get around to working on them.. I got a deal in the works to buy a 4B Nazel.. If that comes though that will be my "big hammer" project for awhile...

Slightly off topic but there's a 4b on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-LBS-Nazel-Model-4B-Pneumatic-Forging-HammerAir/380231186236cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58878b773c#ht_8158wt_941

Not a bad price currently but they say they ran it, and the photos show no dies in the machine. Hope they knew better and pulled them out after the fact.

Slightly off topic but there's a 4b on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-LBS-Nazel-Model-4B-Pneumatic-Forging-HammerAir/380231186236cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58878b773c#ht_8158wt_941

Not a bad price currently but they say they ran it, and the photos show no dies in the machine. Hope they knew better and pulled them out after the fact.

Yeah thanks for nothing. I am the only bidder at the moment and you had to go show it to everyone.

Yeah I'm not sore nor do I think it is any big secret. But I sure wasent going to advertise it to the group. I don't think I'll be able to buy it. I was thinking If it could be had for less than 9k I'd buy it and sell my 3b and then keep the 2ch Chambersburg

MM- Sorry, didn't mean to out you. If it's any consolation I won't be bidding on it as I'd need to build a shop addition to house it and that can't happen till I build the wife the horse barn I've been promising her for the last 5 years or so. Good luck with the bidding.

MM- Sorry, didn't mean to out you. If it's any consolation I won't be bidding on it as I'd need to build a shop addition to house it and that can't happen till I build the wife the horse barn I've been promising her for the last 5 years or so. Good luck with the bidding.

Hey no worries... Its not like it NOBODY new about it and you let it out of the bag..

Its a free market deal, May the highest bidder win...

Gee, I'd kinda like to have a 4-B again......and that one might go cheap enough, hmm...........

Fiarly late model looking at the bottom head/guide. But it has the old 10:1 anvil. Not that I ever had a problem with that. Friend of mine has a 70's machine and the bottom flange of the anvil is about 18" thick.

So, did you get the babbit poured?

Gee, I'd kinda like to have a 4-B again......and that one might go cheap enough, hmm...........

Fiarly late model looking at the bottom head/guide. But it has the old 10:1 anvil. Not that I ever had a problem with that. Friend of mine has a 70's machine and the bottom flange of the anvil is about 18" thick.

I did... But I dont feel good about it. My ladle was way to small... it took three dips per side to pour enough metal in there.... My guess is I will be melting it out and trying again.... I left it hanging from the over head crane like we talked about when I came home tonight.. I wailed on it with a big dead blow before I left and got the dies to come apart about a 1/16th...

I am thinking I would rather do the epoxy stuff... do you remember where it came from?

I did... But I dont feel good about it. My ladle was way to small... it took three dips per side to pour enough metal in there.... My guess is I will be melting it out and trying again.... I left it hanging from the over head crane like we talked about when I came home tonight.. I wailed on it with a big dead blow before I left and got the dies to come apart about a 1/16th...

I am thinking I would rather do the epoxy stuff... do you remember where it came from?

The other thing is I am worried about the seals... Not sure if the tubes would have got hot enough to damage them but now it seems like a bad idea to have installed them... I guess they really do need to be in there for fit up, or you might bugger up the piston/wall

C`mon now Larry,don`t tell me with all the old iron you have swirling around and dropping out of the sky on the left coast you really feel the need to import from as far east as Ohio.
Pretty soon you`ll be cruisin` the Atlantic side of the country and lookin for deals.Be sure and let me know when that happens and I`ll put you up for a few days while we negotiate an east coast franchise. ;)
There`s enough vacant real estate around now we can rent a big place cheap and have room for anvils and presses on one wall,bikes on another and restored hammers in the middle. :)

Across the country? I once bought a 50Kg air hammer in Gotteberg Sweden! It was advertised on the internet for 7,000 Krona. Well, I checked the exchange and that was only 1,200 US bucks! Cost me about $300.00 to ship it to Tacoma Washington! Delivered to my door for less than shipping from Oregon.

Grant I think you should buy it... But since you dont have room to set it up it can go in my shop... I actually went out and bought a 7' x 10' chunk of 1 1/2 plate to convert it to a one piece

Nathan Robertson, Max MN, is also repairing a KA150.
His broke a 3/8 stainless tube for the air.
How many KA150s were made?
I heard there were only 4 of them is this correct.

Nathan Robertson, Max MN, is also repairing a KA150.
His broke a 3/8 stainless tube for the air.
How many KA150s were made?
I heard there were only 4 of them is this correct.

Well Grant said he only ever made three... This is one of those, It sounds like Bob and Terry have built at least one or maybe several. there is not many regardless.

So I poured the bearings three times... once yesterday and twice today... Yesterday I didnt have a big enough ladle so today I built a bigger bottom pour one and went at it again... during the second pour I had a dam failure..

This is what it looks like when molten metal bursts forth and runs all over your feet...
4594050323_354666cbc4.jpg

But third time was the charm... one side turned out really good and the other good enough not to try again...

This thing as a on/off air system that I'll have to do something about.. It has very little control at the moment.. its a full wack if you stomp the valve/switch

This is just running off my 3/8 air line so its a little wimpy... but at least it gives you an idea...
KA 150