I Forge Iron

New Guy With a New To Me Fisher Norris

New guy here. I mostly do prototype work in the cnc machines but sometimes I have to breakout the torch and hammer to finesse something. I have been on the lookout for a smaller (meaning that I can move it around without getting out the gantry) anvil for a while and I finally ran across a really nice Fisher Norris 80 pounder. Paint seems to be original and it still has the label on it. The only thing I did to it was a quick wipedown with WD40. It showed up on Craigslist this afternoon and was only about a mile from the house. The couple selling it were in the middle of moving (military transfer) and the wife was the granddaughter of the original owner. The only downside on it is that it is almost too nice to use. My question is should I use it, and if I keep it what should I put it down for on the shop inventory/insurance sheet?

eagle1.jpg

eagle2.jpg

eagle3.jpg

Sweet anvil. Your anvil was probably made between 1945 and 1960, the later part of the Fisher era. It is an anvil, made to be used. However, it appears to be MINT. Very rare to have the paper label still intact too. I would not touch it. But it is an anvil, and yours. So it can be used. But I would not. I do not discuss value, that is between parties. For more information, PM me.

I've travelled a good bit and seen more than a few anvils, but I have NEVER seen one with the original paint and label on it. Never.

I wouldn't use that anvil even in the slightest. It's a good anvil, to be sure, but the historical aspect of it is worth more to me than the utility.

From reading your post, I gather that you don't really need to use this anvil for production, so why do so and lose that historical aspect when you don't have to?

Wow, looks like I found a rare one. The camera does make it look nicer than real life, it has been used and does have a few hammer marks and scratches. I think that I will keep it in my home shop where it will get some protection from the ham fisted. I have a couple of nice old Parker vises and a 120 year old Pratt and Whitney mill that will enjoy the company of some more old American iron. I do use my old tools, but give them the respect that they deserve. I am going to try to take a smith class next year, so I will keep an eye out for a beater.