I Forge Iron

A Little Assistance Please

In this video, Jim Poor gives us and idea about how he makes tongs. This is a trailer for his dvd so lots is left out. What I really want to know is, in the portions starting at about 2:54 in the video, he is using a striker to shape the tongs over the bick in a very specific way. I want to know how one might accomplish the same thing w/o a striker. Video to follow:

I can think of two ways that i might do it. The first one would be to probably just use my cross pein and keep my hits as accurate as possible. Like he said just a little bit at a time, dont rush it. The second and more time consuming one i might consider if i was going to make a few of these tongs would be to make a spring fuller that would only have a top section. The top would be probably a 1/2 or 5/8 round bar that would extend past the face and use the horn as the bottom of the fuller. I dont know how well this would work but it is just an alternate idea.

Most straightforward method would be good hammer control. I have tried that method since it looks so good and clean. Generally I went to using long stock and gripping between my legs. In effect becoming my own striker. More recently though, I go to my treadle hammer for the help.