I Forge Iron

Blacksmith tool box

This one has a lot more tools and dirt in/on it these days but it comes in pretty handy. The wood box fits in the metal one beneath and sits on top of it when I'm working to keep everything where I need it. The top of the box has a number of holes bored into it to drop in hardies and hammers & tongs go on the bottom. It is heavy (and is only getting heavier). Maybe one day I'll add some wheels.

post-6932-12712645518253_thumb.jpg

nice box francis,

Iron clad..........while reading your post in reply to francis's previous post and then Francis's reply to that I couldn't help to laugh......He contradicted every-thing you said!
sorry.....I am just pointing out my lols... laugh.gif

alecph34r.gif

I built a pair of tote type boxes similar to many pictured above just before I took a course at Touchstone several years ago. One thing I did on my boxes was make the handle high enough that I can put my tongs straddling the handle when I am forging. An unexpected benefit of the higher handle is that it is a nice height for sitting. Obviously if you plan on sitting on the handle it needs to be sturdy.

I built a pair of tote type boxes similar to many pictured above just before I took a course at Touchstone several years ago. One thing I did on my boxes was make the handle high enough that I can put my tongs straddling the handle when I am forging. An unexpected benefit of the higher handle is that it is a nice height for sitting. Obviously if you plan on sitting on the handle it needs to be sturdy.

Those two concepts have me considering making a box...
Phil

• 6 months later...

Inspired by you guys I decided to build my own dedicated blacksmith toolbox. Criteria were that it fit behind the seat of my standard cab pickup truck, that it be relatively light, that it hold a reasonable amount of tools for an evening forging away from my shop and that it said "This is a blacksmith's toolbox...". I'm not a professional smith like some of you are, but really had a blast making this one. Oh, one more thing, I wanted to make it from scraps I already had on hand...this was accomplished...comments welcomed. Size is 22 inches long by 7 inches high by 7 inches wide at the base. It tapers to 6 inches wide at the top. The lid is curved so that it looks "coopered". I made it from white pine scraps I had left over from other projects.

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

thanks for looking...bart

I would make your tool box a representation of your commitment and quality. If you do make a tool box- make it a great one. It is the first thing people see when you set up on a site.
I have included a picture of a picture of the tool box I made some 20 years ago. I still use it everyday....

Fe-wood,
Great looking box. Are the tails ( pins?)in the end pieces cut in end grain or cross grain. If end grain, how wide was the board?
Thanks,
Bob