I Forge Iron

100 ton friction screw press

Dillon Sculpture

Zeh & Hahnemann No. 10

I just got it up and running late today, didn't have much of a chance to use it, but it did give quite a wallop on some wood and aluminum stock I had. I made a few adjustments tightened some bolts and oiled it up good, also found under the bottom plate what seems to be a bolster of some kind. The bolster measures 7 3/4" in diameter and has a 1 1/4" straight hole through the center, and was not hardened. The top die holder is dove tailed and splits in half to receive a 2" pin in the center, pretty clever. I'm not sure if the contact wheel has the right material on it, leather seems to be too soft to take the abuse of the drive wheels, I would think it would be more like a brake shoe material?

post-2769-12701660790148_thumb.jpg

post-2769-12701660987024_thumb.jpg

post-2769-1270166119617_thumb.jpg

post-2769-1270166135303_thumb.jpg

post-2769-12701661627872_thumb.jpg

Do not use anything but real leather! It is the perfect material for this, just the right friction. I get about 5 years out of mine, but the machine is run about 800 hours a year. New one for mine (3-1/2 X 120") is about $300.00. Looks like a pretty good machine, you'll be amazed at what it can do.

She looks right at home.... One thing kind of bugs me though... Is this where you show off your machines? It looks way to clean and orderly to be the spot where any work gets done... I mean the place I bought a hamburger for lunch was not even close to as sanitary as your place looks... Do you have a crew of guys that follow you around and pick up every bit of scale as it hits the floor? Some kind of super sucker that pulls it into hidden ducts at floor level?

Thanks Grant, do you use anything on the belt or drive wheels to dress them? Do you have a return linkage for depth control?

Monster when I built this shop I wanted a space uncluttered by storage, so I have a back room where everything else is. A week earlier you couldn't see the floor, right now its a blank canvas sorta speak. Everything is on wheels that is not bolted down so when I had to move the press in it was easy to make way, oh yea my lift is a loggers lift, takes a lot of space to maneuver stuff around in there. One more piece to go, I left a corner for the Niles.

She looks right at home.... One thing kind of bugs me though... Is this where you show off your machines? It looks way to clean and orderly to be the spot where any work gets done... I mean the place I bought a hamburger for lunch was not even close to as sanitary as your place looks... Do you have a crew of guys that follow you around and pick up every bit of scale as it hits the floor? Some kind of super sucker that pulls it into hidden ducts at floor level?

Don`t be messing with the man`s program there Larry.Some of us may be unrolling sleeping bags on that floor in the future.
I don`t care who sweeps it as long as I don`t have to. :)

PS-You know your shop`s big when it makes something like that look like an arbor press till you have someone stand next to it in a photo.
You payin` attention here Young Cap`n?

Ric,
As far as I know its 100 tons, not sure how to measure something like that, seems to strike a single blow as hard as the Niles 750#

I know Z&H made a #12, but not sure about larger.
I think the #7 is a 50 ton, but I have found no one who can rate these numbers to tons. It may be that # is ton adding a zero..or it may jump a bit more with the higher numbers.
Other than a strain gauge I am not sure how to accurately rate them either. Maybe do a bit of lead in size "X" forging under each and compare the final height?..you and Grant could do this.

At any rate it looks like it has a good home and for that I am happy...this was sold by a forum member yes? It looks like one I had looked at last year, but I was also unsure about tonnage.

Ric

I used to work in the injection molding business and we had a type of pressure sensitive film that could be put into a mold to measure shut-off clamp tonnage. It came in a selection of pressure ranges and you read it based on varying color scales. For example, you might start with a piece that was opaque dark red, clamp the mold then compare the film to a color chart provided by the manufacturer. Of course, a pressure transducer would be more accurate but the film is a relatively cheap way to check a general range.

Depth control? We don' got no stinking depth control! Stop blocks, like a hammer. Not really a press, more like a hammer, call it an impact machine. When a press stops it don't do any good to hit it again. With any type of impact machine, every time you hit it it moves a little more. Ratings are just for comparison, like trying to rate a hammer in tons of force.

• 2 months later...

Zeh & Hahnemann No. 10

I just got it up and running late today, didn't have much of a chance to use it, but it did give quite a wallop on some wood and aluminum stock I had. I made a few adjustments tightened some bolts and oiled it up good, also found under the bottom plate what seems to be a bolster of some kind. The bolster measures 7 3/4" in diameter and has a 1 1/4" straight hole through the center, and was not hardened. The top die holder is dove tailed and splits in half to receive a 2" pin in the center, pretty clever. I'm not sure if the contact wheel has the right material on it, leather seems to be too soft to take the abuse of the drive wheels, I would think it would be more like a brake shoe material?

Hi,
I can supply you the right material for the friction screw press. We are makers of friction leather liner for the friction screw pres.. If you are interested please contact me at jaitrading@yahoo.com. or jp.jaitrading@gmail.com. We can make and supply amny kind of leather friction liner for all types of friction screw press of any capacity.
D.JayaPrakash

Hi,
I can supply you the right material for the friction screw press. We are makers of friction leather liner for the friction screw pres.. If you are interested please contact me at jaitrading@yahoo.com. or jp.jaitrading@gmail.com. We can make and supply amny kind of leather friction liner for all types of friction screw press of any capacity.
D.JayaPrakash

It may be advertising, but it's good targeted information, not spam. Hard to find someone to supply good leather. I'm gonna file this one away.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Don't know. Wouldn't tell you if I did! Then you'd know how big of a forklift it would take to steal it!:blink:

But YOU imported it.....
Basically wondering the weight differences between the type you have and the older US models vs the Indian/Chinese made now.....seems yours is about 3,000# the Z&H is around 5000# for #10 and the Indian ones are about 5500#.

I did find a 2,500 ton unit in Michigan....want that one Grant?
Ric