I Forge Iron

I bought a pair of Walkley's clogs. They were truly rubbish. Very flat soles, both inside and out. If you want British style clogs, better to go to one of the people who "downsized to the country and set up a workshop to make clogs" that Sam was so disparaging about. They are more expensive, but some of the makers are very skilled, and you won't end up with Frankenstein boots like Sam and I have!

• 6 months later...

Back to wooden shoe suppliers, I ordered mine from Nelis' Dutch Village in Holland, MI.

http://www.bluedelft.com/woodenshoes-plain.html

They were the only place I could find 31CM size, and they were only $56 & change delivered.

Great arch support and super protection from things I drop.<G> Feet stay much warmer than with even good boots, but the snow tends to pack up on the bottoms.

I may or may not put irons on the soles since I work on dirt/cinders rather than concrete.

Back to wooden shoe suppliers, I ordered mine from Nelis' Dutch Village in Holland, MI.

http://www.bluedelft.com/woodenshoes-plain.html

They were the only place I could find 31CM size, and they were only $56 & change delivered.

Great arch support and super protection from things I drop.<G> Feet stay much warmer than with even good boots, but the snow tends to pack up on the bottoms.

I may or may not put irons on the soles since I work on dirt/cinders rather than concrete.

Spray the bottoms with Pam and the snow won`t stick,seriously.You can wipe them down with olive oil and that works too but it`s not as quick or near as much fun.
You know from from my user name where I live.Trust me,we know snow.

• 1 year later...

Hi i have just joined the forum and thought i could contribute to the "clog" thread ! I have been wearing clogs for over 40 years and find them great in the workshop mine are boot style lace ups i have a sheet steel plate on the bottom of them ,irons on the soles and heels and hobnails mine don't have steel toes but the leather is pretty strong ! the curve on the sole ( known as the cast ) is very important for comfort when you walk as it makes them roll . They do take getting used to but once worn in are very comfortable as long as the noise doesn't bother you or other people nearby ! Can someone tell me how to post a picture please ?

I've got a family member coming to visit from the UK sometime this autumn ... think I'll ask them to bring a pair of those boot-type safety clogs over for me.

For those of you who wear these things, what's your recommendation / experience as far as type of sole? They (Walkley) seem to have three options: "Shod Sole & Heel", "Iron Sole & Heel", or "Rubber Sole & Heel". What are the benefits or limitations of these various types?

I've been wearing clogs for about 20 years. I wear this model:

Rubber sole and heel with kevlar toe. It's my most comfortable footwear to date, I even wear them when shopping for groceries. Many people here in Denmark wear them, especially here in southern Jutland, farmers especially.

I have a pair of Strovel brand closed heel clogs that I wear mine a lot for the quick, but sometimes dirty, errands where I'm out of the house and back in within a couple of minutes. Bought them from a farm supply store in Holland while at a family reunion of my in-laws. Very comfortable to wear and great in damp/wet/cold locations (barn, backyard, kitchen, cellar, etc.) Unfortuately they have molded rubber soles so I don't wear them for 'hot' work - no need for the smell of burning rubber. Also no steel toe guards.

Edited by Don Shears

• 5 years later...

JHCC, thanks for the links, really nice. Because of the wear and tear, I buy a new pair after sliding through to the bottom and my tooth’s touch the ground (30 dollares). But to reinforce them will cost me the comfort.

Read a lot about the arches height, I solve this with some grinding and sand paper, I have high arches to. The big advantage of wooden clogs is also, you have no sweat foots on summer time and no frozen foods in the winter. For the sissy’s between us, there is also the possibility to mount some leader belts over the arches/instep before they got the necessary callus there.