I Forge Iron

buying a stick welder

pkrankow

Let's say one of the 225A units. Everything seems to beat around the bush as to what circuit is required. I'll reread the owners manual for the Lincoln and look specifically for that information, but may have missed it the first go around.
Phil

Found it in the owners manual online, 50A slow blow FUSES, and not breakers. Guess I need to talk to my electrician about this.
Phil

Yeah, I don't know where you found that info, but any little buzzbox (lincoln 225, miller thunderolt), etc., will run fine on a 50 amp, two pole (220 volt) breaker.

the pdf manual http://content.linco...or/im/IM237.pdf
page 7, first column last paragraph.

It explicitly states fuses and makes no mention of breakers.

Phil

I am guessing that the quote you mentioned predates the use of circuit breakers.

My first welder outlet, 50 amp, 220 volt was installed by a licensed electrian over thirty years ago, supplied with a ciruit breaker. I have probably had 50-100 more installed since, all by electricians, all breakers.

I would imagine your shop has a panel with breakers in it ? If it is the older square D box with fuses you should upgrade anyway.
Do you know how many amp service you have now ? There may not be room in the panel. Lots to consider here. If we had a little more info we can point ya in the right direction.

I would imagine your shop has a panel with breakers in it ? If it is the older square D box with fuses you should upgrade anyway.
Do you know how many amp service you have now ? There may not be room in the panel. Lots to consider here. If we had a little more info we can point ya in the right direction.

It's my home, there is no panel in the garage. Last year I had a (suspect) Stab-lock panel replaced with a SquareD QC 200A panel. My panel is maxed out because most of the circuits were doubled and tripled in the old panel, and this is an all electric house. I need space for about 5 more circuits in the next year or two when I remodel the master bath, its getting a spa tub and floor heat when that happens. I plan to build a separate garage for use as a workshop, but that is a several years down the road. My smithy is the driveway, more than 20 ft from the house, so I'll need a long cord (10 ft) on the welder to reach from where I plan to put the outlet.

Phil

"so I'll need a long cord (10 ft) on the welder to reach from where I plan to put the outlet."

This is a problem I'm having right now(not that it matters much with my back pain) is a long cord on or an extension cord for my welder. Since my insurance company has decreed no more welding or open flame in the garage my welder's receptacle is now 20'(twenty) away from where I can weld. How does one make up an extension cord for a welder? He needs a 10' one and I need a 20' one. :blink:

"so I'll need a long cord (10 ft) on the welder to reach from where I plan to put the outlet."

This is a problem I'm having right now(not that it matters much with my back pain) is a long cord on or an extension cord for my welder. Since my insurance company has decreed no more welding or open flame in the garage my welder's receptacle is now 20'(twenty) away from where I can weld. How does one make up an extension cord for a welder? He needs a 10' one and I need a 20' one. :blink:

I made mine. I went to Home Depot and bought some #8x3 insulated flex cable and a 50 amp male dryer plug and a 4x metal box with a all weather cover and a 50 amp female plug to put in it.

I made mine. I went to Home Depot and bought some #8x3 insulated flex cable and a 50 amp male dryer plug and a 4x metal box with a all weather cover and a 50 amp female plug to put in it.

I was thinking similar. The way I see it right now, I might as well pull the rough circuit first and keep my eye out for a welder.
Phil

• 1 month later...

I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC, a Lincoln Ranger 8 and a 1956 Lincoln Shield Arc portable machine. The 56 model is DC only. I have to say the Ranger 8 has been a great little machine. If you have time you can always look somewhere like craigslist.org and or your local pawn shop. I think the Lincoln 225 AC/DC runs around $550 new. I gave $150 for mine.

lincon, miller both good what are you going to do with it ?
I have a lincon 225 ac/dc machine the reason a lot of the ac machines show up on craigs list is you can't weld in dc. ac limits your rod selection and your deposit rate. With a dc machine you can weld stainless and aluminum. with a machine that runs on 240V you can weld any thickness you want. with a 110v machine you will be competing with the duty cycle.

AC/DC for versatility.

Personally I like MIG for rookies it seems easier although that would rule out your gouging.

BIGGER is better so go 220 volt if you can. You should be able to do this without adding a sub panel. You can add a double breaker to the existing panel to get the 220. These fit into the standard panels.

Scott
Fab Manager
Welders360

• 1 month later...

Don't overlook running a separate service to the garage. No need to disturb the house that way, and lots of room for more breakers.
That's also a good time to have a security light installed if the power company adds a pole.

As to machines, the previous suggestions are all good.

I favor a basic stick welder for a first welding machine because they are versatile, tough, simple, and easy to work with. DC is worth the extra cost.

Practice, and practice more. It's worth it. Bend lots of practice specimens.

Also, check out Weldingweb, the Hobart welding forums, the Miller forums, and Shop Floor Talk for useful info.

EDIT:
Avoid arc gouging with light duty machines. It's rough on them. We use a Lincoln 600 at work just for the purpose.

I got a torch instead for cutting and gouging. If you don't plan on welding often, consider getting a oxy-acetylene setup before getting an electric welder. You can cut, weld, heat, and braze with it, and can save money cutting by using propane (requires a different cutting tip).