I Forge Iron

Channel the Karma

Cross Pein

I have been having problems with a neighbor's encroachment for years. I won't go into the details here, but it has caused us to research the history of the property. My friend Jeremiah, Archiphile on this board, has been a great help with this. He is really into the research, I'm not so much. On Friday he bought us the earliest deed that he has found. It is from 1805 and documents the transfer of my land from Oliver Capen to Otis Harlow. Oliver is listed as a blacksmith!
I think I may have found his son's grave on-line: http://gravematter.smugmug.com/Massachusetts/Dedham/Old-Village-Cemetery/3247358_NojoX/12/185966799_xDNCm/Medium
I find it intriguing that my home may have been the site of a colonial era smithy!

Last summer Jeremiah found a wrought iron nail in some earth that we had disturbed digging the foundation for the shed that has become my smithy. It could have been made right there over 200 years earlier.
I wonder if there is a way to channel Oliver's spirit - I need all the help I can get! :lol::rolleyes:

Bill

I wonder if there is a way to channel Oliver's spirit - I need all the help I can get!
Three raps on the anvil when you first arrive at the shop should alert him to your presence. His work ethic is from 200 hears ago so try to understand if he gets fussy with you. (grin)

My great grandfather was the smith in Cedarville AR, he owned 960 acres of land when he died and my mother recently told me that she's giving me her share of what's left, 13 acres of scrub hill land. My wife wants us to retire out there. No where near the smithy though...

Thomas

As soon as I win the lottery! Only 53 so far and as a diabetic I need to keep up medical insurance...But it will stay in the family no matter what

I'm thinking of talking with my cousin's widow and see if she wanted to sell the 13 acres next to mine back into the family; their land has some good building stone on it...Of course some of the other cousins may have already talked with her---I know they talked with my Mother about buying her land. All the roads in that area are named after kinfolk or folks we have known for 80+ years, like Lucius!

Weather is sure a lot nicer here in central NM though!