I Forge Iron

Folder Pins??

Dodge

I have a small pocket knife I carry most of the time. It is a multi bladed Rosterei/Solingen that I was given many years ago. I has faux pearl scales and over the years they have gotten chipped and otherwise damaged from use (ok abuse :D) Well the last time I dropped it was the last straw. One scale flaps like an insect wing ;) So I want to replace the scales with some homemade micarta. My question is about the pins. They appear to be brass. Is this a common folder pin material? also, I am planning to shape the scales to near finnish then pin, peen then file, sand, and buff to finish. Is this a workable solution? OR should I peen after I get them nearer to the buffing stage so as not to remove the "head" that is peened? Thanks for any input

Scott

Yes, I think brass is a very common pin material, especially on factory knives. I would think the origional pins were peened on the handle material before the knife was assembled. I would think it would be hard to peen the pins with the knife assembled. I sometimes use a head spinner in a drill press to round over the heads of pins, but it does very little peening to them.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, BG. I have seen those spinners in the supply sites and cats but I really want to keep the flush surface of the pins. The exposed pin where the scale is broken has a slight "head" but it is so thin, I assumed they were "peened" or some other process and then buffed flush in the final finish stages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've seen on youtube a guy made trycarta with denim and epoxy resin. just soaked each layer squeegy the layers onto each other then put in a vise and wait. his visees were plywood and hand clamps. or rolled it and put it in a machine vise, wrapped in wax paper for a rolled effect.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen on youtube a guy made trycarta with denim and epoxy resin. just soaked each layer squeegy the layers onto each other then put in a vise and wait. his visees were plywood and hand clamps. or rolled it and put it in a machine vise, wrapped in wax paper for a rolled effect.

Just like that, Edge! :D