I Forge Iron

Need to find some 1/2" square 4140

Cut from plate may be your only option to buy it that size, but it can be pricy. You may want to price 5/8" round put a kiss block on your hammer and forge away. If you have not used kiss blocks before you may be suprised how fast they are and how on size you can end up. If you need long straight pieces or need it annealed get the plate, but if your pieces are a couple of feet or less it may work out cheaper especially if you can source the round locally.

Cut from plate may be your only option to buy it that size, but it can be pricy. You may want to price 5/8" round put a kiss block on your hammer and forge away. If you have not used kiss blocks before you may be suprised how fast they are and how on size you can end up. If you need long straight pieces or need it annealed get the plate, but if your pieces are a couple of feet or less it may work out cheaper especially if you can source the round locally.
\
It is for a tool I have been making for the past 10 years. I have kiss blocks and swages for 1/2" I am tired of the extra work. I was using 3/4 5160 or 4140 untill the supply that I had ran out. I also used to raid the local train tracks for extra spring clips but I think I have picked up every one with in a 5 mile radius of my shop. Not to mention those that are left are frozen into the ground right now. I am going to check out those sources tomorrow. I really want a finished bar because part of the tool is left with the original section.