I Forge Iron

Tractor Trailer Truck Brake Drum?

ledson

Ok that's great, that helps me to make my mind up about using one or to make my own fire pot so I will weld up my own fire pot. I have a question for you all about this. Can someone tell me the best dimension for the pot.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I made mine out of a mac truck brake drum, so it would be good and heavy. I just made a top mold for the fire pot and poured refractory cement in the drum.
It works fine for me. The only problem is over time the refractory has worn down a little.

I had a student make one from a semi drum. Too deep to use effectively as he didn't have a way to slot the sides. so he moved the tuyere up in it filling it with dirt until it was near the top and he could use it like a regular forge pot. Too heavy to move then he abandoned it when he moved.

I will tell you what the best size for a firepot is if you can tell me the best vehicle for me to buy---of course I won't tell you *ANYTHING* about how many people in my family, whether I need to haul heavy stuff or commute 200 miles a day...

Or otherwise the *best* forge for small items could be a terrible forge for large items and vise versa; a good design for charcoal may not be good for coal and vise versa, etc...

The devil is in the details!

• 4 weeks later...

Would a brake drum off a big truck work for a fire pot?

My dad and i acquired a brake drum from a semi, and we cut about six inches off of it, and mounted it on a propane burner stand, it stands about three or three and a half feet tall, and works quite well. Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/user/inumarudurglaur#p/a/u/0/f0wtUPkXgvM