I Forge Iron

coke fire

Alkale

being new to the art i purchased coke and not coal when trying to start the forge I light the coke with a torch and have tried

both little air and a lot of air but glowing coke goes out. what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Do you have any BBQ briquettes? This is a good way to get er going. Start with a few briquettes and add coke to that or green coal and then coke.
I am no expert but that has worked for me.

Good Morning,

You can use a rosebud to start the fire (cheating, but who is looking) or you can start a paper and kindling fire in the fire-pot and gently sprinkle on some coke after the wood gets burning. Don't be in a hurry, the wood will start the coke. When you finish using the fire just rake the fire out of the fire-pot, to the side of the fire-pot and use this to start the next fire. It will start easier with the breeze (coke that has already started to burn).
Enjoy the journey, the destination is not the only mission!!

Neil Gustafson

Coals a pain you have to faff about with it i'd stick with coke. I either use paper and kindling or firelighters if I have them. The last lot I bought came from a different supplier, they didn't have what I normally buy so I got a couple of sacks with the smallest lumps. They turned out to be mix of normal coke and what looks like small lumps made up of little round balls of coke. I've no idea what they are but once the reformed lumps are lit they wont go out, so I have to try and rake all the unlit coke to one side of my forge and the lit stuff in the fire pot to the other.

Good Morning,

You can use a rosebud to start the fire (cheating, but who is looking) or you can start a paper and kindling fire in the fire-pot and gently sprinkle on some coke after the wood gets burning. Don't be in a hurry, the wood will start the coke. When you finish using the fire just rake the fire out of the fire-pot, to the side of the fire-pot and use this to start the next fire. It will start easier with the breeze (coke that has already started to burn).
Enjoy the journey, the destination is not the only mission!!

Neil Gustafson

being new to the art i purchased coke and not coal when trying to start the forge I light the coke with a torch and have tried

both little air and a lot of air but glowing coke goes out. what am I doing wrong? Thanks

There are quite a few reasons that spring to mind,

What type of forge are you using bottom blast, or side blast?

If its side blast. the fire may not be in a suitable position in relation to the tuyere iron.

The "Glowing" coke may not be ready to catch at that particular time, Try lighting it using kindling, even if you are using a torch to ignite it,

Leave the torch in position longer, even when the air is on, until the fire catches and looks like it will stay in, then remove torch, and see if you then have to reapply it or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I start all my coal/coke fires with 3-4 sheets of newspaper. Ball up the paper, light it and put it in the fire pot. Add air flow and rake some coke/coal onto the fire. I always have some coke left from a previous fire. IF the paper is damp, use a few more sheets and give it additional air to get it burning vigorously. I have never used wood but when desparate measures were called for I have brought in Mr. Acetylene Torch, always works, but rarely necessary.

Leave the kindling burning under the coke for longer than seems sensible and then gently bring up the blast to avoid blowing out the flames, you should hear it start to roar. If you use a side-blast, as the kindling burns away, a void can be formed which fills up with new coke and blocks or diffuses the air flow. Try using the rake to push the glowing mass towards the air inlet.

Hi I started using coke last fall when I had a chance to go in with another Smith in the area on a ton of coke delivered for $606 a ton. It is harder to light but I like much better than coal much less clinker. I do use kindling to start it, get the kindling burning good add air then coak don't completley cover kindling untill coak is burning well good luck Wana Be