I Forge Iron

Could Somebody On Here Possibly In the UK

Hello, As the title reads I am looking for somebody to make me a new hammer, infact a replica of one I already have, as it's my favorite hammer but having bad experiences with hammer making in the past, I've resigned myself to paying someone who is better at it than myself, I'm wanting around 2.5lb in weight.

Forge009.jpg
Forge007.jpg

So if you could help me at all, please get in touch with me.
Thanks for reading.

Come on one of our toolmaking courses and make one yourself www.blacksmithsguild.com then you can make them for others, Hardypick in Sheffield used make hammers some looked like that, as a matter of interest they hand forged all the climbing equipment used on the '53 Everest Expedition The picture of Edmund Hilary at the top of the mountan brandishing his ice hammer and the UK flag must surely be a record for the highest place on earth a hand forged tool has ever been and used. Served part of my apprenticeship in that factory, and still using two 2lb hammers I made there over forty some years ago, one still having its original shaft, the other I modified into a round face hammer and replaced the original handle, but that was only twenty some years ago,

Here is a Baker Vaughns rounding hammer, had it for a few years, expected maybe a handle to break, but not this. I must have hit it with it too hard, shame 'cos i really liked this hammer and had 'broke it in' now its emphasis is on the broke.

I have sent pictures and requested comments to the manufacturer but as yet, have had no response from them,

post-816-12651095085203_thumb.jpg

post-816-12651095434825_thumb.jpg

post-816-12651095719642_thumb.jpg

Richard,

Have you tried Glendale Forge in Essex? I came across them when I was looking to buy some hammers a while ago, I never ended up buying from them, so cannot vouch for their work, but perhaps worth a try?

John B, maybe you are familiar with these folks? And perhaps you might get a response regarding your broken hammer now?!?

John B,. I do a bit of work in a very large UK blacksmith & farrier college (not for me to name names online) One of the lecturers there showed me some similarly broken hammers from the same supplier (common problem as I understand it). They use them to show the students what happens to the grain if you overheat, and dont normalise afterwards :D

Very, very, poor when you consider the price they charge for them,. perhaps they should come with a warning about striking things with them invalidating your warantee :D

John B,. I do a bit of work in a very large UK blacksmith & farrier college (not for me to name names online) One of the lecturers there showed me some similarly broken hammers from the same supplier (common problem as I understand it). They use them to show the students what happens to the grain if you overheat, and dont normalise afterwards :D

Very, very, poor when you consider the price they charge for them,. perhaps they should come with a warning about striking things with them invalidating your warantee :D

Yes its a shame because they used to be one of the best manufacturers in the business, corners being cut again to keep competitive with imports I supose, accountants running the show instead of the craftsmen.

I like the fireguards at a large UK DIY store that carry the warning NOT TO BE USED IN FRONT OF AN OPEN FIRE what happened to the "fit for purpose" trade description

I also like the lifetime guarantees on some of the tools you can purchase, it seems it only lasts for the tools lifetime, not yours when it ceases working like it should, its dead, so no refund.

Mind you I suppose thats a bit like the lifetime guarantee I give to my clients, If they can contact me, then I'll advise them.

Richard,

Have you tried Glendale Forge in Essex? I came across them when I was looking to buy some hammers a while ago, I never ended up buying from them, so cannot vouch for their work, but perhaps worth a try?

John B, maybe you are familiar with these folks? And perhaps you might get a response regarding your broken hammer now?!?

Hi Coleen, Yes I am familiar with Glendale and like/prefer some of their tools to Bakers, It is many years now since I purchased new tools as I prefer to make my own,

I purchased some from both companies when I bought a working forge and took on their two "Trained at Cosira" apprentices who were used to the bought in tools they used at Salisbury, and it was cheaper in manufacuring cost from my point of view at that time to buy in a basic set of tools so they did not have to hang around waiting for a tool being used by someone else in the shop, and at that particular time I didn't have time to show them how due to financial pressures, the training came later as time and circumstance allowed, one was as keen as mustard and would stay behind after normal working hours to improve his skills, and the other was a clockwatcher who couldn't be bothered. The first one has since gone on to run his own successful forge and is still at it even though he has gone through hard times, its the iron addiction that' got him too,

The Rounding hammer from Bakers was sort of a one off impulse buy (as you do) as I used to have ordinary ball pein, and round face hammers I had made handy in the forge, but if I did a demo, I had to take a couple of hammers rather than just the one, and I just liked the look and feel of that particular hammer, so much so I came across another one at a sale and bought it as a back up, will not have to be as hard on this one I suppose, having said that, I can honestly say the old one earnt its money.

And its life may not be over yet, I can easily adapt it to make a couple of stakes as the ends are good.