I Forge Iron

Recent Railing Project

David Browne

Great rail David,

Nice sweeping curve, the decorative rivets are a nice touch and I like the clover detail for the support bracket, what was the parent material?

Michael,
Since you mentioned "clover detail"...Strange side story here.

When initially speaking with this client about the design for the railing, she gave me complete freedom to design anything that I thought would be appropriate within a framework of the California Spanish style. Her only specific requests were the sweeping curve at the Newell post, and that she would really like the rail to be side mounted.

I started playing around with shapes for the side mounts and came up with what I referred to as a clover motif. I liked it, so I made a small railing sample and presented it. She pulled me aside and asked me why I chose a clover detail. At this point, I was kind of nervous. I said, I'm not sure why, it just seemed to fit with the house, and I liked it... As it turns out, clovers are very special to her, and the clover as a symbol reminds her of happy times spent as a child with her mother and her grandmother searching for four leaf clovers on their property in Nebraska. Needless to say, the clover motif made it into the front gate and the window grill as well. :D

OK, back to your question...parent material. I forged all the clovers separately and then welded them into the pickets. Each clover started off as 1 1/2" round bar about 2" long. Can you guess how I did it?
-DB

Michael,
Since you mentioned "clover detail"...Strange side story here.

When initially speaking with this client about the design for the railing, she gave me complete freedom to design anything that I thought would be appropriate within a framework of the California Spanish style. Her only specific requests were the sweeping curve at the Newell post, and that she would really like the rail to be side mounted.

I started playing around with shapes for the side mounts and came up with what I referred to as a clover motif. I liked it, so I made a small railing sample and presented it. She pulled me aside and asked me why I chose a clover detail. At this point, I was kind of nervous. I said, I'm not sure why, it just seemed to fit with the house, and I liked it... As it turns out, clovers are very special to her, and the clover as a symbol reminds her of happy times spent as a child with her mother and her grandmother searching for four leaf clovers on their property in Nebraska. Needless to say, the clover motif made it into the front gate and the window grill as well. :D

OK, back to your question...parent material. I forged all the clovers separately and then welded them into the pickets. Each clover started off as 1 1/2" round bar about 2" long. Can you guess how I did it?
-DB

Mmmm.... If I had to guess I would say to first upset your "pucks" till there where about half the original thickness, then on edge using a fair sized "V" block on your power hammer or press turned them into a rough triangle with rounded edges... fullered in the leaf separation and then used a Bob to dimple?

How ever you made them its a beautiful rail, Outstanding design... its simple, elegant and unique Top notch for sure....

Ahh, I see how you are, I show you mine and then you make me guess...

I'll take a stab at it, neck down ends flatten and dimple? Sound easy...

Ah, c'mon Mike, You only asked what the parent material was...B)

Upset the round bar on end into a 1/2" thick round "puck". This bulges and softens the sides, Turn the puck on edge and Fuller in a smithin magician or spring fuller under the hammer from both sides to isolate the 4 petals. Flatten under the power hammer. Use a big bob to dimple three of the petals (the fourth becomes the stem). One last flatten under the power hammer...Lather, rinse, repeat.
-DB

Ah, c'mon Mike, You only asked what the parent material was...B)

Upset the round bar on end into a 1/2" thick round "puck". This bulges and softens the sides, Turn the puck on edge and Fuller in a smithin magician or spring fuller under the hammer from both sides to isolate the 4 petals. Flatten under the power hammer. Use a big bob to dimple three of the petals (the fourth becomes the stem). One last flatten under the power hammer...Lather, rinse, repeat.
-DB

Aha.... that makes much more sense... I was thinking you made them three sided and welded the forth leg on at the center.... Which would have been quite a bit more work I think... Funny how your mind sees things..!

Wow! David
That is a really nice railing. Excellent design and execution. I confess, I copied the photos into my design ideas file.

Thanks Gerald. I confess, I have one of those design/inspiration folders, too! I also agree with your "simple" approach to design. Sometimes, "just enough" is just the right amount and many times the difference between a design success or a failure is often what we choose not to do, more often than what we choose to do.

Along these lines, I do think it bears a mention for some of the new Smiths out there, that it is perfectly acceptable to be influenced by, or inspired by someone else's work. Unless you live in a cave, it is nearly impossible to avoid it. The trick is to take those influences and strive to produce something original. It is never Ok to simply copy someone else's work. Honor your craft by putting some of yourself into it.

I know that for many of you, design does not come easy. Design is simply a skill that needs to be practiced, nurtured and developed, just like hammer control or any other aspect of our craft that requires skill. The more you do it, the better at it you will become. If you do not posess at least basic design skills, you will always be at a huge disadvantage in the competitive marketplace.

-DB

Good point David, its a great practice to design from what inspires you. I draw often as I can, from soap stone gestures, sketch books to architectural drafting. Using photography to capture areas of visual interest is another way to get ideas. Through these influences I try to develop my own vocabulary within my designs to give them a voice.

David,

The design is beautiful and the execution is superb. I can see why the customer wanted the side mount; to not interfere with the tiled surfaces. The "mini-belly" portion of the picket is quite clever in this application.

Dave