I Forge Iron

running power hammers without 3 phase

i'm compiling a folder on the use of power hammers at college and i'm looking into the way powere hammers can be run without the option of a 3 phase power source.
Is it as simple as buying a diesel generator and runnin it off that? or are there any other options available.

i'm compiling a folder on the use of power hammers at college and i'm looking into the way powere hammers can be run without the option of a 3 phase power source.
Is it as simple as buying a diesel generator and runnin it off that? or are there any other options available.

Please enter your location, here in the UK we can use a phase convertor to upgrade to 3 phase from a single phase 240volt ac source

Your best bet is to use a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive). They are available to create 3 phase power from single phase and provide numerous control options such as variable speed(50% under and 150% over rated speed depending on motor and load), dynamic braking, jogging, etc.
I have used them for years and wouldn't be without one now. I would use them even if three phase power was available.
Ted

You can also wire it through another 3 phase motor, and fake it into thinking it has 3 phase. With this method you only get 2/3 of the rated output. I have used this method for years to run an 18.5"x54" Monarch Lathe 5hp, and my 10x16 Clausing surface grinder 2hp.

Phase converters are another option.

Didn't know about the VFD I will have to look into that. We used a lot of them at the Jelly Belly Candy Co. I was a graveyard mechanic there for 7 years.

Woody_B

Generally, three_phase power is used to facilitate the need/desire for high-torque, low RPM motors on powerhammers.

If it is acceptable to you to use three_phase motors, you can, as described above, easily generate generate three_phase power from the single_phase power 220V power you probably already have.

If you truely want to use only single_phase power, you can run power hammers on single phase current if you have a powerful enough single_phase motor. If the motor runs too fast to use directly (pay close attention to the recommended BPM for the power hammer you are driving), you can use a jackshaft to create the proper RPM at the powerhammer drive pulley. A jackshaft generally consists of two pulleys on a mandrel. One of the pulleys is driven by a belt from the motor, the other pulley drives the powerhammer drive pulley. One more thing.... The heavier the motor, the better it will work for you (single or 3-phase). Rotating weight provides torque, which helps getting the powerhammer going.

What Twcoffey said.

VFD`s allow you to control speed with little HP loss at low end.They`re also compact and portable enough to be moved from one machine to another easily.
Last time I checked they were a lot cheaper than a store bought phase converter.
I wish I had known about them before I invested in all the DC motors and controls I bought and am now replacing because of power loss at low RPM.
If you buy old iron with a 3 phase motor and you have no converter(store bought or home made)then they`re the way to go IMO.

Woody,
If you go to the thread in this section titled "Tire Hammer Construction Changes" and scroll down near the bottom you will find a photo of a tire hammer with a three phase motor and in the background a portable TECO VFD setup. Note the labeling on the switch and receptacle. "240 Volt single Phase" and "240 volt three phase". This particular VFD has a horse power capacity up to 2 HP. In this photo it is controlling a 1 HP motor.
I can move it to a nearby drill press with a 3/4 HP three phase motor. I have another unit set up for a Fay-Scott Lathe (2HP) and a Bridgeport mill 1/2 HP and a old Garvin Horizontal mill 2HP. These units provide an exceptional flexibility for three phase and can be bought with much larger HP ratings (100 HP plus) if you have the current capacity to handle that. They can also be bought for three phase input and three phase output. In the later case they provide all of the flexible control features as mentioned before. There are in excess of 100 programmable control functions available in these units(Speed, Acceleration, Braking, Motor protection, current limiting, etc.) .
Ted