I Forge Iron

Mobile Hammer system

You are a hammer moving machine! You going for a 6 month record? I still need to move my steam hammer.

If you weren't so far away Id love to come help.... I like rigging and moving things... Its almost like building something, a sense of accomplishment to impart your will against an otherwise immovable object :)

Monster, good looking truck door art. To deliver my machines I use a trailer similar to yours, but I've equipped it with angle iron tracks (that can be extended off the back of the trailer; jack supported) and a rolling hydraulic crane with V-grooved steel wheeels to lift on/lift off the hammers. Toting a forklift is the heavier way to do it. I can by-pass DOT scales and my F-150 pulls it fine. It might carry a Saymak in the bed, but I have a Miller Trailblazer welder there. Your air bags are a dandy way to provide overload support.

Not necessarily - my 2008 F250 is supposed to be able to tow 15K or so. I don't know how old Larry's is, but the GCVW can be quite high - assuming of course the trailer has proper brakes. (Trailers in WA over I think 3000# have to have brakes period.)

So it's a legit issue, but at least recent 3/4 ton trucks can have very heavy towing.

Ya, but was his hitch rated for only 10K? They bend a little at 14K

I move around some pretty heavy stuff for a 3/4 ton truck but...... My hitch is good for 15K and have a receiver and ball thats good for 14K Because I am licensed as a commercial vehicle and have to stop at the weigh stations all that stuff has to be up to snuff... in this state you pay for weight and 26,000 GVW is the limit without a CDL... so thats what this truck is licensed for and the truck can handle it on short runs... The go is no problem, the turbo diesel has got lots of grunt... I have a good computer brake control system the truck has a electronic "jake brake" exhaust brake which makes for a better than some but still not great stop when its loaded this heavy...

You could have a 2 ton truck and pull a 21,000 GVW trailer and still only be able to legally carry 26,000 GVW without a CDL so to me a bigger truck wouldn't do much good....

I might buy a one ton truck next go around but I do installs in this truck and have to get in some tight spots around Seattle... my flatbed trailer I built with a long tongue, 7 foot 6 wide deck and the tires track inline with the truck... Just because the 8foot 6 trailers you can buy are so hard to get in tight spots with...

Yeah John... I would really like to see your set up.... I have no plans for going into the hammer moving biz but it sounds slick.... My Dad is really into the Hit and Miss engine scene and has talked about building a monorail hoist trailer like the trucks they use to deliver concrete vaults and septic systems... It sounds to me like your set up might be a step better...

Monster, good looking truck door art. To deliver my machines I use a trailer similar to yours, but I've equipped it with angle iron tracks (that can be extended off the back of the trailer; jack supported) and a rolling hydraulic crane with V-grooved steel wheeels to lift on/lift off the hammers. Toting a forklift is the heavier way to do it. I can by-pass DOT scales and my F-150 pulls it fine. It might carry a Saymak in the bed, but I have a Miller Trailblazer welder there. Your air bags are a dandy way to provide overload support.

Thanks John.... I think the door art is a good example of the cost of living in a metro area.. When I bought the truck I talked to several local companys about doing my logo on the door.. The best deal I could come up with around here was $700 for stickers.. a very simple deal that looked pretty plain... I had planed to go to Idaho to my dads shop to build the bed ( he has a real shop with shears and brakes and things ) so I called up Jeff from Jeff's Graphics in Twin Falls who striped and lettered several rigs for me when I lived there.... He hand painted and lettered the truck with a one off design for $400.. That was 4 years ago and it still looks great...

I move around some pretty heavy stuff for a 3/4 ton truck but...... My hitch is good for 15K and have a receiver and ball thats good for 14K Because I am licensed as a commercial vehicle and have to stop at the weigh stations all that stuff has to be up to snuff... in this state you pay for weight and 26,000 GVW is the limit without a CDL... so thats what this truck is licensed for and the truck can handle it on short runs... The go is no problem, the turbo diesel has got lots of grunt... I have a good computer brake control system the truck has a electronic "jake brake" exhaust brake which makes for a better than some but still not great stop when its loaded this heavy...You could have a 2 ton truck and pull a 21,000 GVW trailer and still only be able to legally carry 26,000 GVW without a CDL so to me a bigger truck wouldn't do much good....I might buy a one ton truck next go around but I do installs in this truck and have to get in some tight spots around Seattle... my flatbed trailer I built with a long tongue, 7 foot 6 wide deck and the tires track inline with the truck... Just because the 8foot 6 trailers you can buy are so hard to get in tight spots with...Yeah John... I would really like to see your set up.... I have no plans for going into the hammer moving biz but it sounds slick.... My Dad is really into the Hit and Miss engine scene and has talked about building a monorail hoist trailer like the trucks they use to deliver concrete vaults and septic systems... It sounds to me like your set up might be a step better...

Washington sounds like California on the 26K max GVW without a CDL. I thought about and looked into a CDL but as I'm sure you have noticed, I don't like inviting government into my life unless I have to. Not to mention all the fines and penalties are significantly higher with a CDL. If you do get a 1 ton make sure its not just a beefed up suspicion on a 3/4 ton like the dodge is. They make no improvement on stopping power with the increase in capacity. Your build of the narrow trailer sound good....

Question on the HIT-N-Miss, whats the most HP you have heard off on one?

CA used to be trailer weight no more than 10K, and a combined weight of no more than 26,000. Otherwise a CDL was needed.

The reason I mentioned the weight was that I have a 01 4X4, diesel, 1ton,and the CGVW is 21,300#. The truck curbs around 7,300#, so that leaves a 14K trailer load.I know that I have been well over that with some of the trips I have made, but never ran it across any scales to check. It is easy to overload the new trucks with diesels. Doesn't matter really how much I throw on the trailer, that 5.9 Cummins will get it rolling. Now getting it slowed down on the backside of the Tehachpies, or Halloran Pass can be fun. Looking at an exhaust brake to get more whoa.

Folks, some of these limits are set by the Feds for all interstate commerce (the whole commerce clause thing), so far as I can tell you need a CDL to drive *commercially* any vehicle over 26,000# anywhere in the US. (And all the other funny rules.)
Note that anybody with a regular DL can drive, say, an RV of 30,000 or 40,000 (maybe more?) pounds without a CDL.

The 10,000# trailer thing is so confusing I ended up asking the WA state DOT about it, I have some saved email - it makes my head hurt.

Of course, any state could have tighter limits as well - so you might need at CDL at some lower number in some states.

CA used to be trailer weight no more than 10K, and a combined weight of no more than 26,000. Otherwise a CDL was needed.

The reason I mentioned the weight was that I have a 01 4X4, diesel, 1ton,and the CGVW is 21,300#. The truck curbs around 7,300#, so that leaves a 14K trailer load.I know that I have been well over that with some of the trips I have made, but never ran it across any scales to check. It is easy to overload the new trucks with diesels. Doesn't matter really how much I throw on the trailer, that 5.9 Cummins will get it rolling. Now getting it slowed down on the backside of the Tehachpies, or Halloran Pass can be fun. Looking at an exhaust brake to get more whoa.

How many HP on a single cylinder or how many HP total? My dad has a 60HP western... I think its a 18 in bore and 16" stroke.... I think you can get up into the 80-100 HP range on one cylinder....3277411687_a88954a8bd.jpg
3277411583_acd69387da.jpg
3277411723_70b5f44519_o.jpg
3278233110_c7b26b4c1a.jpg
3277411881_5b87af6b7f.jpg
3277411649_f2bfec3aa3_o.jpg

At the moment I have the winch off the trailer and it won't be going back on until late February. So I can't get a picture of the set up for a few weeks. The extra screw jacks on the trailer keep it from flopping around as the crane moves. The movement of the crane is controlled by a manual cable winch. The overhead monorail system used for delivering caskets are industry unique, but could be adapted to the hammer and machine tool delivery bizzinezz. Most hammers do not want to be toted in a non-upright position, so that influences monorail height. I think a good toter crane could mimic a forklift. Mine mimics a skid loader. More about this in a few weeks.

At the moment I have the winch off the trailer and it won't be going back on until late February. So I can't get a picture of the set up for a few weeks. The extra screw jacks on the trailer keep it from flopping around as the crane moves. The movement of the crane is controlled by a manual cable winch. The overhead monorail system used for delivering caskets are industry unique, but could be adapted to the hammer and machine tool delivery bizzinezz. Most hammers do not want to be toted in a non-upright position, so that influences monorail height. I think a good toter crane could mimic a forklift. Mine mimics a skid loader. More about this in a few weeks.

Great John.... Looking forward to it :)