I Forge Iron

Brushed Stainless finish for mild steel?

I have a potential client that is looking for a fireplace tool set with a "brushed stainless" finish. In order to keep the cost down I was thinking of making it in mild steel but wondered if anyone has a method for creating the brushed stainless finish. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks

I guess a stainless steel duck call is just too obvious.

While I agree that making the fireplace set out of stainless is probably the way to go, one of my bigger customers extrudes aluminum, brushes it and then anodizes it to look like stainless. Extruding aluminum is MUCH easier than rolling stainless into the various shapes they make. I bet many of the people on this board have these extrusions in their houses and don't realize that they are not stainless.

is he looking for stainless or semi shiny ? you might try a few different finishes on a piece of mild and see if one of um suits ... i dont personally like brushed stainless but fireplace tools its probably for a "look" might not matter if its actually stainless ... good luck

The client is looking for a brushed stainless look on a unique/modern/contemporary design. They have not required it to be stainless and have also stated they are open to suggestions to keep the vision affordable. I know the next question is going to be "what is affordable". To some that is $50.00 and to others it is $5000. I am just looking for ideas that members might have on different ways to tackle this project. I am also keeping in mind that if the set is actually used what maintenance will be required to retain the finish they are looking for.

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

While you might be able to get the look of "brushed stainless" using mild steel, I think use in a fire place might take what ever finish you use off rapidly. Sounds like it would be better to use stainless for a long term look.

The proper answer to the riddle is a Chrome plated rubber duck. Squeeze it hard and it goes "Quack, Quack". :rolleyes:

John,

If someone on these boards can`t tell the difference between aluminum and stainless when they pick it up then I`d say they were on the wrong boards.
Pretty large difference in weight for the same cross section.

You are assuming it is not part of a larger product that a range of them are commonly called "Stainless" and that has stainless steel as part of it.

Who says you have to buy new stainless? Look around for a scrap/salvage yard, fab shop, or remnant reseller for some suitible pieces. Back in Sacramento CA there was a business called Blue Collar Supply that sold metal remnants from local shops. More than scrap price, but way less than new. I used them a lot for small chunks of aluminum, and brass. Who uses stainless? Restaurants, hospitals,and the people who make the items for them. Here in Vegas there are a number of restaurant supply business that sell used equipment, they may have unsellable pieces that would render the parts. I have even seen some items at second hand stores that were worth more in material than what they were asking.

Now a different way to do this with mild steel would be to sand it to get the brushed look-as a lot of "brushed" metal is actually sanded. Then do a gun type hot blue on it. The item will be rust resistant, yet have a brushed finish. That is if they will go for the black look. Otherwise I feel that you would have to do some sort of rust resistant/proof plating that you can apply the brushed look to. Mild steel just won't stay shiny in the long run.