I Forge Iron

Making a knife

Dean O Riordan

Okay im working on a small knife.I have forge out the basic shape of the blade today and filed down the blade smooth.
Now i am starting to think about the finish on the knife, and would like to have a hamon ( temper line ) on the blade.
Now I know how it is don but what i would like to know could i use fire cement to put on the spine of the blade when Harding it.

Here is a small picture of the knife.

post-12674-12626465671615_thumb.jpg

Any help would be of gait help to me.
Thank's.

Okay im working on a small knife.I have forge out the basic shape of the blade today and filed down the blade smooth.
Now i am starting to think about the finish on the knife, and would like to have a hamon ( temper line ) on the blade.
Now I know how it is don but what i would like to know could i use fire cement to put on the spine of the blade when Harding it.

Here is a small picture of the knife.

post-12674-12626465671615_thumb.jpg

Any help would be of gait help to me.
Thank's.

Like was said it needs to be a shallow hardening steel such as w1,w2 or 10xx.
Yes i use normal furnace cement to coat my blades and it does what i want it to.
Also it need to be a fast quenching oil or water if you choose water be prepared for some broken and cracked blades.

Good luck Bob

First: Is it made from an alloy that produces hamons? Most don't.

Then: I know you can use furnace cement; I'm not sure what fire cement in Ireland translates to over here.
Most likely yes if you can get it to stick to the blade.

The steel is 5160 as far as i know it is an alloy steel ( I use the search bar to find out that answer :rolleyes: )
It's cut from a leaf spring a very thick one 10mm thick.

Like was said it needs to be a shallow hardening steel such as w1,w2 or 10xx.
Yes i use normal furnace cement to coat my blades and it does what i want it to.
Also it need to be a fast quenching oil or water if you choose water be prepared for some broken and cracked blades.

Good luck Bob

I have old engine oil, the steel is 5160.

Thank's

ok, well fresh water is 8.34 ppg, saturated brine is right at 14 ppg.sea water is 9.4 ppg on the avarage. but most brine quenches is in the 1:1 catagory...1 gal. water to 1 # salt.but i think anything between 9.5 to 10 ppg will work sufficently.hope this totaly confuses you, good luck, jimmy.

Okay guy's iv just don the heat treat ( Hardening ) of my knife. I used old engine oil, and as far as i can see no sing of crack's the tang is soft but the blade is hard.
Now Tempering of the blade, What's the easy-es way of doing it or the best way of doing it.

lol i stink of burnt engine oil :D

Here is a picture of the knife.

post-12674-1262811503232_thumb.jpg

Stick it in your oven for a few hours at at least 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or maybe 150 Celsius. You need to do it quickly after hardening, I've heard stories of blades randomly shattering from internal stress because the smith waited too long to temper them. Ask someone else for the exact temperatures though, I've only done this once.

Stick it in your oven for a few hours at at least 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or maybe 150 Celsius. You need to do it quickly after hardening, I've heard stories of blades randomly shattering from internal stress because the smith waited too long to temper them. Ask someone else for the exact temperatures though, I've only done this once.

Thank you for telling me that ;) Iv put it in the oven to at 350d* F.

Oh do i leave it to cool down in the oven after it's bin in for a few hours, when i tern the oven off ?

• 1 month later...