I Forge Iron

3" - 4" rings w hangers w wrought iron appearance

I think we're all happy to pass on our experience to others and to help anyone who shows a genuine interest in the craft. This question is entirely about avoiding paying for something; it's the same as ringing a plumber and asking him to explain how you can fix your own boiler because you don't want to pay the going rate.

just when you think a forum might me different than the others...someone posts and proves that their all the same...thanks for popping my balloon sam...

I think you'll find that they're 'all the same' because most people don't live in cloud cuckoo land. Most of us have a living to make.

• 4 weeks later...

just when you think a forum might me different than the others...someone posts and proves that their all the same...thanks for popping my balloon sam...

Yeah Pete, it's not the forum so much as an occasional character. Heck, I'm a bad guy too, I not only cleared my own land, did ALL the dirt work, surveyed it, planned and drew the house, I built it with a little hired help when it was necessary. And yeah, I not only plumbed it, supply, waste and hot water heat, I wired it too. Heck, I did every darned thing but lay the block for the foundation and put the steel roofing on it. Both were just easier and cheaper to have someone do it for me. Better results too. Heck, both outfits gave me a discount because I was doing everything else myself. Nice guys both of them, I still have coffee some mornings with the mason.

That must be why I don't feel threatened by "how to" questions from folk who only want to do it themselves, even things I make and sell myself.For instance attached are a couple pics of Doffers I make for the spinners. Deb took up spinning (yarn from fiber critter hair)and wanted a better doffer than the one that came with the club's drum carder. Carding wool is basically brushing it to remove dirt and debris while aligning the fibers so it'll spin correctly. It takes a stiff little poker pryer thingy to get the wool off the drum, the commercial versions are more like blunted ice picks. Gotta have one though, you can't pick it out of the teeth and get anything useable off the drum otherwise.

Anyway, Deb tells me Mark makes really popular doffers why don't I take a look and make her one? Okay, so I walk on over to Mark's booth. He's demoing at the Alaska State Fair and I tended to be easy to find when Deb wanted me because I'd be hanging at Mark's booth. Anywho I walk over to Mark's and tell him what Deb wants. He points to one of the doffers he had on display and then said he probably shouldn't show secret stuff to competitors. Well, something like that, we're pretty good friends if you didn't know. He posts here as Metal Mangler.

So I take a look at his doffer and the next time I'm in my shop I make one for Deb but I get all fancy and make it a long "S" curve where Mark's are straight handled with a simple single curve on the needle. The pic I posted is a later model, a custom order in fact, one of the galls in the fiber guild has a doxy and wanted a doxy doffer.

So, here we are today, Mark still makes his living shoeing horses and forging, some stock items, some custom but all forged in his shop. Heck, he still sells doffers though I don't know how often. When someone asks him about one, he either sells them one of his or if they want one like I make he sends them to me. He didn't go out of business, his kids didn't miss a meal and he doesn't hate me even though I stole :o his idea and modified it slightly. Heck, believe it or not my doffers are my hottest selling item at least till I saturate the local market.

Oh yeah, why doesn't Mark hate me? I guess he just isn't insecure enough to think letting an idea or two pass will put him out of business. Heck, if we take THAT thinking to it's logical conclusion, nobody would be a blacksmith you can buy anything I make at a hardware store or Sears or. . . (pick a retailer) Yeah, you can buy commercially made doffers if you look. Heck, once I'm back working you'll be able to buy one of mine online.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I send lots of folk to Mark, especially if they want a doffer like he makes, not that I couldn't make it, faster and easier, than one of mine that is. I guess I'm just not insecure enough to feel threatened by sending folk to someone else.

Oh yeah, about me being able to go back into my shop. As most of you probably know I nearly killed myself letting a Great White . . . Birch kick back and hit me. As part of being unconscious for better than 2 1/2 weeks, part of that, one week I hear, in a drug induced coma. Oh yeah, being knocked out for more than a very short time means you have to recertify to legally do some things like operate a motor vehicle on public roads. Seems the docs think that applies to anything that I might injure myself doing and guess what . . . yeah, you guessed it a blacksmith shop is #2 on MY list of MUST recertify items.

Why'd I waste all the bandwidth to tell you THAT you ask? Here's why, next tuesday Mark is coming over to recertify me (or NOT) as competent to work in my shop. Yeah, that's right, the docs want someone who knows what's what in a blacksmith shop to write a report on me. Mark's my guy on one condition. If he does NOT feel I'm competent to work in my shop he's to say so in writing. Yeah, he can, heck I expect him to, 86 me from my own shop if he feels it's for the best.

Okay, that was really long but I hope it gets across part of my feelings for keeping "secrets' from folk to protect an income. HAH! Delusion pure and simple. If a person can't look at something and figure out how to make another that person isn't a blacksmith. Yet at least, maybe never. That is why I will happily tell ANYONE how I make a something or other. If that isn't enough help I'll take some pics, make sketches or borrow a video camera to show them. If that still isn't enough they're welcome to come on over and I'll teach them not only how to make the item, I'll teach them enough of the craft to do it without further help.

I know that was an awful long reply Pete but I think I've said it. Mostly though it's for Mrs. A W. Please Darlin, don't think everybody, heck, even a couple of us here are worried about you taking food out of their kids mouths. Most of the guys here aren't that hard up for skill. disregard the poor souls who're afraid making it yourself will take some money out of their pockets. Ask your questions, I'm here and WILL answer to the best of my ability. If I can't there are plenty of far superior smiths who will.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-126559380639_thumb.jpg

post-975-12655938461156_thumb.jpg

Another steel-wool couple!

I get hit up by my wife to make stainless or brass spinning sticks on a regular basis and I make a dandy threading hook using twisted Ni Silver wire and deer antler tines.

I don't think I will mention the doffer possibilities to my wife...

Steel wool couple eh? I like it and bet Deb will too.

By spinning sticks do you mean drop spindles? I have a couple ideas for them too. Gotcha on the orifice hooks your's sound nice. How about a pic?

Frosty the Lucky