I Forge Iron

First time, what to use for solid fuel.

I just finished building my first forge (Once I figure out the new setup to load pictures up I'll have it on there) It's a brick forge, I want to get into swordsmithing and have been using bark and chunks of oak or cedar. So I was wondering what would be better to use for a solid fuel to heat my metal. I know somewhere in this forum is answers ro this question and advice but I haven't been on here in sometime and want to make some fresh posts now that I have the tools and equipment to actually do some blacksmithing. So if any one as some knowledge to share on this I would be greatful.

Any of the "standard" solid fuels will work coal, coke, charcoal or corn. With coal make sure it is a nice deep fire (about 6") so you end up with a ball of coals about the size of a grapefruit and the piecesa are about 1' in size and keep feeding coal in slowly from the sides so you have no raw coal in contact with your steel, it does nasty things to steel when it releases the volatiles. The coke fire is much like a coal one, keep it deep, but it is harder to start and needs a constant supply of air or it will go out. Its good point is that there are no volatiles so it does not make smoke or smell and is easy on the steel. With charcoal, make sure its real charcoal, not the BBQ briquettes they have a lot of additives in them. The charcoal fire does not need so much air and you need to keep your extra fuel away from the fire or it will burn up without an air blast. It still needs to be deep or you will be in the oxidising lkayer all the time. As for corn, it works well and is easy to get but you go through quite a lot.

In all cases when the fire is going control the edges with a sprinkle of water occasionally.

Above all, have fun and keep safe.

"I just finished building my first forge" "So I was wondering what would be better to use for a solid fuel to heat my metal"

You would of course use the fuel your forge is designed for! Can't build a good efficient forge without taking in account what fuel you will be using.

If you have not selected your fuel type yet then you are NOT just finished building your first forge.

"I just finished building my first forge" "So I was wondering what would be better to use for a solid fuel to heat my metal"

You would of course use the fuel your forge is designed for! Can't build a good efficient forge without taking in account what fuel you will be using.

If you have not selected your fuel type yet then you are NOT just finished building your first forge.

I was thinking along the lines of coke or coal, I want to get into swordsmithing and from the bit I have gathered those are the best fuels to use. if I am wrong please correct me, like I said I am very new to blacksmithing in general and would love to make it a serious hobby but in the town that I am in resources are scarce, if that.

All the professional swordmakers I know use propane---(I apprenticed under a top swordmaker back in the early '80's...)

My advice is to work on learning to smith *well*; them move on to knives and learn alloys and heat treating *well* and then move on to swords!

I assume you have Hrisoulas' books: "The Complete Bladesmith, The Master Bladesmith and The Pattern Welded Blade" as he is one of the few experts that actually cover swordmaking info as well as just knives.

We're having a session on pattern welding at our conference in Las Cruces NM in Feb---but that is quite a piece down I 10 from where you are at!