I Forge Iron

My attempt at a Crockidile Dundee knife!

jarguello

All,
Well I spent a good part of the day shoveling snow, then I did something I have been wanting to do for some time. I started with a leaf spring, a little longer than the blank here, but this gives you an idea of the cuts made, hot cut along the marks you see. The top is a forged knife I am working on, fresh out of the forge (well I had to let it cool slowly to anneal it). The blade is going to be about 10 1/2 inches long!!! That's a knife. I will post as progress takes place.

Forged.jpg

Edited by jarguello

Well had to shovel some more snow this morning, but I got time to rough grind my blade. Here is a pic of the first rough grind, looks real good, nice and straight, just a little more touch up and I can heat treat. I have a nice piece of Desert Ironwood for the handle! Maybe a little brass for the guard and pomel huh? Maybe an allagator hide hand sewn sheath? This is just too much fun!

RoughGround.jpg

Well Here's an update, this is what I have gotten done with my limited time?

Guard.jpg
Here I started fitting the handle and making the guard.

GroundTang.jpg
I ground the end of the tang just enough to thread it.

Threaded.jpg
Here is the tang after it has been threaded. Ready for the threaded pomel cap.

RoughKnife.jpg
And here is the completed knife in the rough. I will now dissasemble it, temper the blade, polish everything up and make a sheath. Stay tuned. I am pretty happy with the way this is turning out.

Thanks for your interest and comments of support.
Joe

Well, I got a chance to do a bit more on my Dundee Knife. I'm getting close here, I need to do a bit more polishing (few scratches here and there) and I need to make the sheath. I hand rubbed the blade to 600 grit.

Finished.jpg

what do you guys think?

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Well, I got a chance to do a bit more on my Dundee Knife. I'm getting close here, I need to do a bit more polishing (few scratches here and there) and I need to make the sheath. I hand rubbed the blade to 600 grit.

Finished.jpg

what do you guys think?

Thanks for looking,
Joe

beatiful!

Well, I finally finished my Dundee knife, It's really cool and anyone that will take a look at it has nothing but good thing to say about it. Although most of the guys at work are not into knives they still appreceate the wrokmanship, which if I say so myself isn't bad! Take a look and see what you think.

KnifeinSheath.jpg
Knifeoutofsheath.jpg

I hand stiched the sheath using faux crockidile from Tandy's also notice my brand etched near the guard if you can make it out. Now you can understand my avatar!

Thanks for your interest and all comments and constructive criticisms are welcome.
Joe

Edited by jarguello

Thanks guys, I'm glad everyone likes it. I can't wait to go chop something with it. No Crocodiles in Colorado!

Chris,
To thread the tang I simply but carefully ground the end to get it round, then I put it in a vise and used a die to thread it. You can also silver solder a bolt to the end of the tang. Just grove the end of the tang fit a bolt with the head cut off and solder it on. Hope this helps.

Joe

To get the brand etched I use the Wayne Goddard method of etching with salt water and DC power. I use an old computer power supply as you need 'clean' DC power and add a pinch of salt to about a tablespoon of distilled water. You need some wax (50% beeswax and 50% parrifin) to form a light film on the area of the blade, I simply use a small spatula, or putty knife and put a small piece of wax on it, heat it up with an alcohol lamp and quickly smear the wax on the blade. Now use a scribe with a slightly rounded end to scratch your logo through the wax. Now you put a drop or two of salt water to make a puddle big enough to completely cover your 'brand' Take one lead from the power supply (test and use the leads that are 6 v)and take the positive lead and clip it to the blade, take the negative lead and clip it to a q tip that has been soaked in salt water. Now you need to make some type of a holder to hold that q tip so that it just touches the puddle of salt water and turn on the power. In about 5 minutes maybe a little longer the salt water and DC power will etch your logo into the blade.

Three things ----
1) You can make a holder for the q tip end by bending a coat hanger or some thing like that.
2) Make sure that the clip that is on the q tip is on the cotton part and makeing contact with the salt water soaked cotton part.
3) What I use to connect the lead to the knife and q tip are some small test leads that are 2 wires with allagator clips on each side. Like miniture jumper cables!
Hope this helps
Joe