I Forge Iron

Does anyone work in Glass and Metal??

Hi Devi, there are quite a few workshops in the UK working with both glass and metal, some being joint projects with wife doing one skill and the husband doing the other, others are working in craft centres and combining the skills of the craftspeople at the centre.
Visit our site www.blacksmithguild.com and see what we have that may be of use to you,
If you visit the County shows you can also pick up useful information, try National Blacksmiths Competition to see where, and when they are on and other relevant details.

I am attaching some pics that may be of interest, the clock was at one of the County Shows, and the cross was something shown at one of our iForge weekends at Westpoint

Good luck for the future

20102.attach

20103.attach

20104.attach

20105.attach

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Devi,
I work in both mediums. AND although my latest glass attraction is Lampworked elements, which I'm working on incorporating into my sculpture......I've done a few ornamental metal projects that incorporated both fused and stained glass components. I think that they really go well together. The glass has a great way of adding some serious "eye candy" to a design. IF the glass isn't "backed" and enables light to Play with it....the effects can be stunning, IMO.
One thing I'd make a point of.......when you install fused or stained glass components in a metal frame......you should use a flexible adhesive/caulk.........to compensate for the different expansion and contraction of the two.
small free standing piecepost-1139-12634809368479_thumb.jpg
scuptural elements post-1139-12634816262351_thumb.jpg
4"x4" fused tile element post-1139-12634809872136_thumb.jpg

John,
your clock is stunning.........beautiful combo. Exquisitely executed. :) I like the lil cross too. ;)

Hi Devi, there are quite a few workshops in the UK working with both glass and metal, some being joint projects with wife doing one skill and the husband doing the other, others are working in craft centres and combining the skills of the craftspeople at the centre.

Visit our site www.blacksmithguild.com and see what we have that may be of use to you,

If you visit the County shows you can also pick up useful information, try National Blacksmiths Competition to see where, and when they are on and other relevant details.

I am attaching some pics that may be of interest, the clock was at one of the County Shows, and the cross was something shown at one of our iForge weekends at Westpoint

Good luck for the future

John,
your clock is stunning.........beautiful combo. Exquisitely executed. :) I like the lil cross too. ;)

Can't take credit for the clock, it was made by a student as his project for the course he took, and he did pick up a prize with it in the Inter College Competition that the National Blacksmiths Competition Committee introduced last year for the first time to encourage newcomers to display and promote themselves, It proved to be very successful with the students winning prize money, obtaining commisions, and one of them being offered a full time job at an internationally renowned forge.

For anyone interested in the UK National Blacksmiths Competition details can be found on www.blacksmithscompetion.co.uk

The little cross was just an experiment I did for the iForge weekend we tried last year.